Realtek "HD" sound w/o the bloated driver?

j7n

Is it possible to make Realtek onboard sound on HDA bus just work without installing the whole "HD" driver? Version R1.84 is 15 Megs compressed.

I've come across integrated codecs by ADI and STAC. Both installed nicely using 500k and 100k drivers.

Yes, this pack is distrubuted along the driver. By installing it I got an older ADI (on i915) recognized under XP without an additional driver. But this is not possible with Realtek. One of the reasons for pushing the UAA (apart from possible user lock-in to WinNT and DRM) was to get rid of separate device drivers for every device.

UAA seeks to resolve problems by putting forth a standardized interface which audio devices can follow, ensuring that the device's capabilities will be recognized and used effectively by Windows, without the need for additional drivers or custom control panels.

The crap is contained inside the driver itself. Core SYS file alone is 4 Megs.

Maybe there is a way to modify the UAA so that it accepts ALC8xx. Basic audio output is enough. An enthusiast or audio expert would need proper soundcard anyway.

Edited by j7n

Yes, this pack is distrubuted along the driver. By installing it I got an older ADI (on i915) recognized under XP without an additional driver. But this is not possible with Realtek. One of the reasons for pushing the UAA (apart from possible user lock-in to WinNT and DRM) was to get rid of separate device drivers for every device.
UAA seeks to resolve problems by putting forth a standardized interface which audio devices can follow, ensuring that the device's capabilities will be recognized and used effectively by Windows, without the need for additional drivers or custom control panels.

The crap is contained inside the driver itself. Core SYS file alone is 4 Megs.

Maybe there is a way to modify the UAA so that it accepts ALC8xx. Basic audio output is enough. An enthusiast or audio expert would need proper soundcard anyway.

Is there a way to extract it some how?

i dont think so.

the driver .inf file installs RTHDCPL.exe(16 MB), RTLCPL.exe(9MB) etc files even eithout the installer.

these files r in SourceDiskFiles section of the inf, removing it from inf makes the catalog invalid (unsigned)

is it possible to strip resources from these files like Nero??

• 4 months later...