Lengthy Boot Process with Lite WinXP

j7n

That's wacky, it worked for me.

If you can't get any version to work let me know and I will give an exhaustive explanation of what I did.

LOL. Good call. The CAB version didn't work either... I think.

I just tried an install with integrated. It installed but didn't boot.

I have encountered this in numerous older systems with Firewire (1394) adapters that show up as network adapters. It appeared that the old reference driver would load, assume that there was a link on the adapter and attempt the network startup and DHCP on that adapter. The default timeout is 30 seconds I believe, which is for each adapter. Also I have had this for Wireless adapters as on boot they attempt to initialize.

There are really two fixes, Disable all unused adapters, or remove the TCP/IP stack from each adapter, the latter of which I do on the Firewire until I can get updated drivers, if they exist.

Also if you do remove the DHCP Client from the install, I found that the system still waits for the timeout on all adapters that do not have an IP address manually assigned. Either disable or assign an address.

Try setting some services (test various combinations) to manual instead of disabled.

If a service is not allowed to start (but would need to because something wants it to) because it's missing or disabled there may be delays like that.

On "minlogon":

It's off topic for this thread, but you can search for it and you'll find some info.

Minlogon doesn't work at first logon, you have to use the original winlogon and then replace the file later.

I've been working on that myself in the past; I made a somewhat working solution (=works most of the times but not always for some strange reason) including an uninstaller and the Ctrl-Alt-Del replacement (minlogon disables it). It's a self extracting EXE to be run after the first logon (can be done in a few different ways), the file consists of a batch file and the other files needed to make the switch.