Lengthy Boot Process with Lite WinXP

j7n

I'm nLiting XP systems since the first time I bought a computer where Win98 wouldn't run, and installed full XP only two times in my life. All went well. However recently my lite installations started showing a problem: lengthy boot. As soon as the XP logo appears, progress bar moves nine or ten times while the HDD shows no activity. Does not seem much, but I expect better from a "lite" sytem. Looks like it's waiting for something. I experienced this before with Win98 trying to acquire a DHCP lease where there was none. The XP systems have addresses assigned by me and the DHCP client is removed.

Previously on the given system progress bar went only 1/3 of total length before the XP logo disappeared. This effect is present on different computers with different manually created installations of WinXP Pro SP1. Here's one example of Last Session. What could be the cause?

j7n, there are 3 last session examples in the attachment. If you meant only on Last Session, without the dates, then I would say that WMI service removal looks funky on it's own. Meaning a lot of other components rely on it so they might be waiting for it.

I have repeatedly lited this install. First I made one with all basic stuff that I never need removed (like System File Protection), classic icons added and product key entered. That's why there are so many inis.

If this problem is not well known then I guess I just keep observing.

Removed DHCP client might indeed be the cause, athough DHCP as such is not needed on the network. I will test this once I get the opportunity. Found out also about /SOS switch. It might provide some info on which specific file XP hangs.

Minlogon is good since I don't approve multiuser PCs (personal computers). But this boot delay cannot be influenced by winlogon, as it happens way before logging on.

Nice find with MinLogon!!

Now how do I replace WinLogon on the ISO? And can I get rid of its associates? Like fast user switching... and etc.

Hey, I just read that "removing Network provisioning may cause startup lag"

Also, here is a Minlogon hotfix that can be slipstreamed with Nlite :)

http://tinyurl.com/2kkdmu

Windows File Protection must be disabled in Nlite for that to work. This is found in Nlite under "options / patches"

Cheers,

Craig

Edited by spystyle

Nice find with MinLogon!!

Now how do I replace WinLogon on the ISO? And can I get rid of its associates? Like fast user switching... and etc.

Hey, I just read that "removing Network provisioning may cause startup lag"

Windows File Protection must be disabled in Nlite for that to work. This is found in Nlite under "options / patches"

Cheers,

Craig

Nice find mate, but I was hoping of being able to 'replace' winlogon with MinLogon. Either that or I better make a batch file to remove the sucker after an install.

oops, I messed up on that, but I have re-uploaded it.

What you get should not be cab compressed. I tested the new version and it works.

Cheers,

Craig

Very nice. Thank you. Testing it now.

Yupper, I tested it and it worked just fine.

I really like having minlogon automatically installed :)

Cheers,

Craig