explorer error

Offler

install any application which can measure processor utilisation.

than catch the slider next to quicklaunch and hold it for a while. after few seconds system shall reach 100 percent. How can i remove not even quicklaunch bar, but also that slider?

(btw this error is also present in XP,2k and Vista)

Edited by Offler

Hey Offler,

I can reproduce this 'so Microsoft' CPU hog bug in my 98SE using the built in System Monitor.

What you need is the 'Lock the Taskbar' option from right-click menu on the Taskbar.

The catch is that this option does not exist in native Windows 9x...

I have Tihiy's Revolutions Pack and MDGx's 98SE2ME installed.

I'm assuming that after installing one of these I have acquired the 'Lock the Taskbar' option... Not sure which one or when...

(Maybe it was after Gape's Unofficial Service Pack 2.1a? Or perhaps soporific's Auto-Patcher 98?)

Selecting this option locks the position of any toolbars on the taskbar and removes the sliders.

Deselecting will return them.

Tihiy, MDGx,

Any comments as to why one of those enhancement packs provides the 'Lock the Taskbar' option?

Not even Windows Me has this option!

I'll have to do some experimenting on a new install...

thanks for reply. "lock toolbar" is available in any Explorer window, but it is not available at start panel.

i dont have 98SE2ME and i dont use RP pack... i have bare windows with all updates (service pack, kernel ex and official updates). What files shall i replace, what registries shall i edit to do this?

Hi Offler,

I'm not sure what makes the option appear...

I have however found the registry entry.

In regedit, go to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

If the entry TaskbarSizeMove does not exist then create a new DWORD Value.

Make the value 0 (zero) for locked and ff (in hex) for unlocked.

The only catch is that Explorer has to refresh to pick up the change...

You may need to restart Windows to take effect.

If that does not work, then there must be some updated files involved...

If it does work, then you can automate it with the two following .reg files.

Just copy the text and paste into a text file.

Save the two files as something like Lock the Taskbar on.reg and Lock the Taskbar off.reg.

Double-click on one of the files and respond Yes to import then restart Windows

Lock the Taskbar on.reg

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"TaskbarSizeMove"=dword:00000000

Lock the Taskbar off.reg

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"TaskbarSizeMove"=dword:000000ff

i tried those reg files, and also i tried another one which i found on web, but it didnt work...

since i am not planning to use RP or 98SE2ME (no windows millenium available) i have to do manual partial upgrade (as with rest of my system)... i just dont know how... new explorer? new dlls?

some say that Vista or XP are much better to perform, but the same bug is in ALL systems with start button... If possible i would be grateful for complete fix in explorer.exe/dlls. also i think that this bug could be responsible for some performance trouble with certain applications... hard to say.

edit:

so i tried the uber skin. it doesnt seems to work at all. some new themes appeared, but no skins available - no lock taskbar function at all :(

i have slovak windows98SE with english internet explorer, and czech service pack :) maybe some mess with local versions...

edit2: Fixed. look up to Uberskin topic :) also thanks. i didnt want to use RP pack because of applets and some broken graphics but this skinning engine is just wonderful :)

Edited by Offler

Hey Offler,

I can reproduce this 'so Microsoft' CPU hog bug in my 98SE using the built in System Monitor.

What you need is the 'Lock the Taskbar' option from right-click menu on the Taskbar.

The catch is that this option does not exist in native Windows 9x...

I have Tihiy's Revolutions Pack and MDGx's 98SE2ME installed.

I'm assuming that after installing one of these I have acquired the 'Lock the Taskbar' option... Not sure which one or when...

(Maybe it was after Gape's Unofficial Service Pack 2.1a? Or perhaps soporific's Auto-Patcher 98?)

Selecting this option locks the position of any toolbars on the taskbar and removes the sliders.

Deselecting will return them.

Tihiy, MDGx,

Any comments as to why one of those enhancement packs provides the 'Lock the Taskbar' option?

Not even Windows Me has this option!

I'll have to do some experimenting on a new install...

Oh, the dreaded 100 percent processor usage report bug. That bug isn't new to me. I used to get that problem with Windows 98 SE.

It seems to do that even when nothing is completely tying up the processor!

Windows 2000 and Windows XP are immune from this phenomenon.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP