Map a remote network drive?

foolios

For a WinXP machine not connected to the lan.

I am needing to access a remote cdrom drive every once in a while. I was wondering if the map network drive functionality could be used to map a remote drive by an ip address. Is it possible for me to access a cd rom drive on my computer from a computer that I am accessing remotely through the remote desktop application as if the drive was on that computer?

Thanks in advance

Edited by foolios

Yes, it is possible, just make sure you have some CD inserted in the drive when you map it.

What do I put into the address for the browse folder location?

is it something like //24.124.2.3//D: where drive d is the cd-rom player on that remote pc? I have tried to use a real ip but I get network not found.

You need to share the drive on its PC first.

after that, "\\24.124.2.3\d" (or whatever the IP is AND the sharename) will look more like it. Of course if you can't ping the IP, there is an other problem.

Hang on a second... he said that the computer was "not connected to the lan". I read this as "connected via the internet".

Is the remote PC behind a router? You'll need to map ports in this case.

My personal preference would be to use Hamachi to tunnel your connections. You'd run it on both the remote and local machines, and it would create a virtual network between the two allowing you the same functionality as you'd have if you were on the same LAN.

Hamachi Homepage

How to run Hamachi as a service in Windows XP

Hang on a second... he said that the computer was "not connected to the lan". I read this as "connected via the internet".

Is the remote PC behind a router? You'll need to map ports in this case.

My personal preference would be to use Hamachi to tunnel your connections. You'd run it on both the remote and local machines, and it would create a virtual network between the two allowing you the same functionality as you'd have if you were on the same LAN.

Hamachi Homepage

How to run Hamachi as a service in Windows XP

Actually, this is how I am accessing that remote computer now. With logmein. I didn't know I could access my computers cd-rom drive from that remote computer. Is this possible in the free version?

I've never used the LogMeIn service since I only use Hamachi, but the basic functionality of Hamachi is the same in the free and premium versions. The premium version allows for more features, but won't stop you from doing what you want. :)