Remote acces to a private ip?

Woomera

is there any way that i can connect to a computer with a private ip address? ex:192.168.0.10

seems like www.logmein.com have a way around it but the pro/reach version with remote administration is not free.so any similiar free software?

What do you mean by "remote access?" LogMeIn Free works just fine for remote desktop, if that's what you want. Pretty well actually. If you want direct network access, then I suggest using LogMeIn Hamachi (again, free) to setup a VPN. :)

Woomera, the IP you mention (192.168.0.10) is your home network IP. It can't be used to connect from a remote location because someone else who has a home network may also be using that IP. This IP is NOT seen by the internet.

You actual IP is the IP assigned to you by your ISP. Go to www.ipaddress.com to display your IP address.

For example, when you go to www.IPaddress.com, it will show you your IP address that is seen on the internet. This is the IP you need to connect to your computer.

However, in your router settings, you need to forward a port to you internal IP. So, if you have two computers in your network (192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11), then you need to specify in your router which IP to forward to.

Which port you need to forward depends on which port the program uses. Windows Remote Desktop connection uses port 3389 as an example, so you would forward this port to the IP of the computer you want.

Hopefully, this is the answer you were looking for.

Woomera, the IP you mention (192.168.0.10) is your home network IP. It can't be used to connect from a remote location because someone else who has a home network may also be using that IP. This IP is NOT seen by the internet.

You actual IP is the IP assigned to you by your ISP. Go to www.ipaddress.com to display your IP address.

For example, when you go to www.IPaddress.com, it will show you your IP address that is seen on the internet. This is the IP you need to connect to your computer.

However, in your router settings, you need to forward a port to you internal IP. So, if you have two computers in your network (192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11), then you need to specify in your router which IP to forward to.

Which port you need to forward depends on which port the program uses. Windows Remote Desktop connection uses port 3389 as an example, so you would forward this port to the IP of the computer you want.

Hopefully, this is the answer you were looking for.

Hamachi and LogMeIn Free both bypass the need for port forwarding. The routing is all done automatically and bypasses any firewalls that may be in the way as well.

Why not just use Windows Remote Desktop? :w00t:

Not as secure (at least the old version isn't). LogMeIn gives you 256-bit security, both the remote desktop feature and Hamachi.

Encryption is something you have to remember to not get carried away with, as it's only one part of the security whole. Any of the heavily advertised Fetch-My-PC type services are going to get trolled constantly by Script-Kiddies looking for some dope with a simple password.

My advice is to use anything except one of these high profile targets. I'll take RDP with FIPS (or a certificate) and a proper password any day.

Edited by Stoic Joker

Why not just use Windows Remote Desktop? :w00t:

Not as secure (at least the old version isn't). LogMeIn gives you 256-bit security, both the remote desktop feature and Hamachi.

Encryption is something you have to remember to not get carried away with, as it's only one part of the security whole. Any of the heavily advertised Fetch-My-PC type services are going to get trolled constantly by Script-Kiddies looking for some dope with a simple password.

My advice is to use anything except one of these high profile targets. I'll take RDP with FIPS (or a certificate) and a proper password any day.

And i will take 0 forwarded ports, a random alphanumeric email address only used for logmein, a random alphanumeric password, and then a completely random alphanumeric username and alphanumeric password to access my pc, oh and the SSL encryption logmein provides too! :whistle:

oh and also logmein locks you out of your account after 3-5 wrong attempts and sends you an email, so a script would just fail miserably at breaking into it.