MCE: KB913800 still required whether you slipstream WMP11 or not

johndoe74

KB913800 contains WMP10 component files.

What you're saying doesn't make much sense because HFSLIP blocks KB913800 if WMP11 is slipstreamed. So if Windows Update is no longer complaining after you put KB913800 back in HF, it actually means you don't need KB913800.

i know it contains wmp10 files which is why i removed it when slipstreaming wmp11 but then it showed up as required on windowsupdate. seems very illogical to me as well but one reason for this could be that it's not a WMP10 hotfix per se but a hotfix for XPMCE2K5 like 900325 and 925766.

Hmm... We're talking next to each other here.

Is Windows Update still complaining after you put WindowsMedia10-KB913800-x86-ENU.exe in the HF folder?

nope, no complaints once it's put back in HF.

very very off topic but is there a way to use HFSLIP for XP 64-bit ? cuz I be playin' with that a lot these days and NLiting stuff just ain't as much fun as HFSLIPping it ;)

nope, no complaints once it's put back in HF.
Then Windows Update doesn't want it.

If you place KB913800 and WMP11 in HF at the same time, HFSLIP will ignore/block KB913800.

If Windows Update doesn't complain then (as you said before), it means it doesn't want it.

This discussion actually confuses me too.

He said that Windows Update complains if he doesn't put KB913800 in HF while slipstreaming WMP11. However, when he returns it to the HF folder, WU stops complaining. The fact that KB913800 is ignored doesn't seem to correspond with these observations because the presence or lack of it clearly seems to make a difference. Is it a problem with Windows Update then? I see what you're saying Tomcat76, but based on johndoe74's comments, it appears that you need KB913800 in HF if you want Windows Update to stop complaining, regardless of whether or not it's actually needed in terms of updated binaries.

That is the funny thing. HFSLIP even blocks KB913800 as a whole, and will only allow its processing in two distinct situations:

1) The source OS is XP MCE *and* WMP11 is not slipstreamed

2) The source OS is regular XP *and* WMP10 (MP10Setup.exe) is slipstreamed *and* WMP11 is not slipstreamed

In both cases, if you slipstream WMP11 with HFSLIP, it should not make a difference whether you have KB913800 in HF or not because it doesn't pass "the filter" inside HFSLIP. Both SOURCESS folders are identical.

now i got documented evidence to prove my case! :D

ok, as you'll notice from the attached images, KB913800 is not in HF but WMP11 is. now the weird thing is, MBSA is not complaining about missing 913800 but it does show up in the high priority list for windowsupdate.

i just noticed the two other updates, though present in HF are not showing up as installed on windowsupdate (in the software, optional category) those being the roots updates and KB912024

high priority updates - 913800 missing

iectllfazz.jpg

optional software updates - roots update and 912024 missing

jfzobnmuxx.jpg

microsoft baseline security analyzer - all clear

qbrccfmelf.jpg

incidentally, office 2007 was not installed so i have no idea why it might be complaining of missing office 2007sp1

HFSLIP.LOG_KB913800.rar

Edited by johndoe74

no matter how u add wmp11 to your MCE cd 913800 will show up on wu.

i agree that 913800 contains mostly files from wmp 10 but ...it also contains files that dont belong to wmp10 and they are required for WU to be happy.

there are 3 files needed: Wpdtrace.dll, Kb913800.exe and easycd.inf.

please look for more files details into the hotfix: 913800

Edited by boooggy

Thanks for the info, boooggy.

One question...

When HFSLIP processes KB913800 (without WMP11), it removes kb913800.exe. That file does a cleanup operation (when running "kb913800.exe /clean") but is it still necessary after a clean install? I'm assuming the user doesn't try to slipstream 100 hotfixes specific to XPMCE 2005, of course.

If running the "kb913800.exe /clean" command is not necessary but Windows Update still wants to see the exe in the WINDOWS folder, I'd prefer to have HFSLIP create a 0KB dummy file.

I know 22.5KB isn't much, but you know how space-conservative some people can be... ;)

Also, I (and probably TommyP too) would classify it under "bloat" if it isn't going to be used...