XP Pro - No Audio

foolios

Ok, I'm not sure if I found the problem but I found a floppy molex connector still connected to the floppy drive that I thought I unplugged along with the floppy ide cable and must have missed it. Now that that's unplugged, I plugged and unplugged the speaker into the audio card and it didn't reboot this time.

But, but now I am seriously wondering if there is a power problem. That the power supply is starting to go or something. I think that having the molex still connected to the floppy wouldn't be all that big of a deal right? And as you are also thinking as well, that not enough power would explain why the headphones are working but the speakers are not.

Call Dell if you're still under warranty. They would've made you run a 32-bit diag test on the sound card. If it had produced sound, then a software error obviously. Since it seems to be hardware related, they would've dispatched you a sound card. Now esentially what you need to do is, open the case, drain the flea power. Remove the power cables to your drives. Turn it on. If it still doesn't turn on, remove all the cards, remove memory, reseat the power connector to the motherboard. Turn the system on, if it beeps then it's asking for memory. If it doesn't beep, you have a problem. Reseat the CMOS battery. Ask to dispatch a motherboard/power supply. Call them, and tell them you've done all these already. Journal ID: 073602G3CX Give them that ID also.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...mp;toggle=false

They pretty much follow that link step by step. If you've done all that, it will give you that above Journal ID. 10 min call :)

I tried different slots to see if there were irq conflicts, but still wasn't getting sound.

Ok, I noticed that pc speaker was off in the bios while I had still another set of speakers hooked up. This time when windows booted up, I got sound through this other set of self powered speakers. I don't know if it was that bios option or whether it's a matter of what speakers I use with this system(pretty lame).

But sound is working with these and that's what matters the most to me.

When I checked the Dell documentation I noticed that they default audio cards they install to pci slot 4, I put the card in there, turned on pc speaker and now it's working. I'll retest with the other speakers now to see what the heck is going on!