Windows/Microsoft Updates Page won't load

Modifidious

My updates services are running, checked that. I tried starting and stopping it (the autoupdate service) as well and also tried renaming the catroot folders as well as the softwaredistribution folder and still, everytime I try to go to windows or microsoft's update page it shows it's loading in the status bar, but nothing appears in the browser...Any ideas? Btw: I'm on Media Center but am having the same issue on another Xp Home system.

Clear the cache of IE =Junk. Are you using windows update or Microsoft Update there is a difference i recommend using Microsoft Update It might take a very long time sometimes up to an hour of course i was on a domain at that time but still took forever also check the connections like Gosh said see if you can ping out and stuff. good luck :)

So I tried this and I'm getting the following error message:

"The specified Setup script file (C:\XPSOURCE\i386\winnt.sif) is inaccessible or invalid. Contact your system administrator."

I have no idea why I'm getting this message. Then when I hit ok, I get Making of LocalSource folder $WIN_NT$.~LS Ready Press any key to continue... Copying custom files to temp drive.... The system cannot find the path specified. It then takes forever to CRTL+C out before getting :

Does T:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\I386 specify a file name or directory name on the target (F = file, D = directory)?

C:migrate.inf 1 file copied

same question as above

more files are copied and then I get an error message about not being able to read/edit the tstsetup.sif file.

I checked the names, locations, cases, & attributes on said files, what else am I missing?

What else you're missing? You seem to post a new question in an existing thread which isn't related to your question at all. :blink:

My updates services are running, checked that. I tried starting and stopping it (the autoupdate service) as well and also tried renaming the catroot folders as well as the softwaredistribution folder and still, everytime I try to go to windows or microsoft's update page it shows it's loading in the status bar, but nothing appears in the browser...Any ideas? Btw: I'm on Media Center but am having the same issue on another Xp Home system.
You haven't been back to say if you resolved the problem...

FWIW, I had inadvertantly set "download" in Automatic Updates (I don't do that, because I like to collect and install on my own at my convenience) instead of having it Turned Off. I managed to catch it before anything installed but had to wait (grrr) until it was finished downloading. Somewhere (on MSFN) someone pointed to this -

http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Downloaded, ran it to clean all the garbage, and voila! back to square one :thumbup !

If that doesn't fix it, yes, it could be as the others suggested. Also, apparently there is sometimes a problem at MS's server end being "overloaded".

Come back and let us know if you are "fixed", ok??? ;)

edit - also found this...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891

fixes "hound-dawg-slow" response in Update scans...

Edited by submix8c