Ati Radeon X1550 on Windows98SE

NikoTF2

hi everyone im new of forum...first of all i want to say immediately sorry if my english could seems bad, im italian and im not so good in english, i hope it will be good enough to write my problem, and of course i hope someone will help me :blushing:

my system is: Celeron 2.67Ghz, 1GB of Ram and an ATi Sapphire X1550 512MB GDDR2 AGP8x

in my pc i got three operative system (two XP Pro and one 98SE), with the two xp the vga runs great, but with 98 i have some issues...i can't make the S.O. find a driver for run my X1550...what i can do?

i try almost everything: Download old catalyst from ATi\Amd site, Change INF (but im a noob on that)...but without results...please help me could someone find a driver or a tweak for run this card on Win98?

I don't need the latest driver, i mean, i just need my deskpot could run on 1280x1024 with 32bit color (for now im on 640x480 ad 16bit colour, can't change :( )

so...i hope someone will help me, im so desperate! Thanks everyone ;)

you could try having a look here

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=105725

theres a link to an early version of a generic video driver

it doesn't still work...i've just try the Snap SciTech Driver but it won't work...and these driver give some crash to S.O either...

please help..at least as gift for xmas :)

there's no way for make work an ati radeon X1xxx series on Win98? :(

Edited by NikoTF2

• 1 month later...

Hi, Niko.

Don't know if this will help or not. I'm running a Radeon X800 on my 98SE system with the Catalyst 6.2 drivers.

There were some issues with this at first. The main one was font blurring in a vertical bar pattern, from 1 to 3 bars per boot. This was not severe, I could get by, but it seems to have been cleared up by running Soporific's Autopatcher available on this site. I'd try downloading autopatcher (it's huge, you need broadband), running it, and then seeing if you can install your drivers.

Hi, Niko.

Don't know if this will help or not. I'm running a Radeon X800 on my 98SE system with the Catalyst 6.2 drivers.

There were some issues with this at first. The main one was font blurring in a vertical bar pattern, from 1 to 3 bars per boot. This was not severe, I could get by, but it seems to have been cleared up by running Soporific's Autopatcher available on this site. I'd try downloading autopatcher (it's huge, you need broadband), running it, and then seeing if you can install your drivers.

hi fishindude ;)

thanks for your answer, but as j7n has said before, unfortunately X800 are different (i tought all VGA's with Shader Model 2.0 can run on 98SE, my last vga was an 9800XT and it work perfect but now she's dead :() from new radeon models with Shader Model 3.0 starting from all X1xxx series.

i hope i'll find quickly a solution! By the way thanks for everyone who support me, this forum is simple awesome!

You mean the Vpemp9x thing? i've already try it...doesn't work.

i really cannot find a mode to start my 98SE partition with atleast 256 color...just that poor 640x480 16bit...what i could do? there's really no way to fix it? :(

EDIT= i guys i don't know how but now i see my 98 on 1280x1024 with 32bit of colour, but if i try to move a folder it goes like v-sync and very slowly

and still some games doesn't run...so i tought that driver was ONLY for resolution but for the system i don't have any real VGA...:(

Edited by NikoTF2