Minimize XP

chiners_68

Hi All,

Ive got an Asus Eee PC which needs a small version of XP. These Small notebooks only come with a 4GB(Actially about 3.7GB) drive. Ive installed Xp office 2003 updates etc etc & only have 400MB free.

What is the best guide for reducing the size of XP for this device?.

Does the Eee have a CD-ROM drive? I thought it was too small for it. I've heard of people installing Vista because it can be installed from USB. Are you attempting XP install from USB? Or maybe an external USB CD-ROM drive?

Let us know how you accomplish this, please. Thanks.

If you want to seriously reduce your Windows memory usage, I suggest logging on to Bold_Fortune's site: http://www.bold-fortune.com/forums/index.php?showforum=13

Using a combination of his guide and nLite I have a copy of Windows XP (SP2) installed on my computer, complete with Office 2003 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Publisher) taking up just under 600 MB. Plenty of space on a 4 Gig drive.

The first main area to go to is the i386 folder, and any other folders than contain backup of install files.

Or use a Linux live CD.

The EeePC doesn't have a built in optical drive, so the only way of using a Live CD would be to load it onto the hard drive (which kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it? ;)).