Help With PC DVD Duplicator

I recently purchases 3 dvd burners of the same model and installed them on a fairly older PC using an IDE adapter card. The PC is 1ghz with 256mb ram. I installed all the burners as masters also. It works fine when i burn a copy of a single dvd5, but when i try to burn 2 or 3 copies at a time (from both the dvd reader or an image from the harddrive) it takes over an hour to complete. I cant figure out why it is taking over an hour to burn 3 copies when it takes less than 7 min. to burn just a single copy. Any help would be appreciated THANKS

A CD/DVD/duplicator doesn't need that much RAM. I'm guessing that part of the problem also lies in the fact that you're using multiple burners on a single PCI card and with a limited number of PATA channels. Try to put the various drives on separate PATA channels and see if that helps a little bit.

It's definitely not the RAM. Having more RAM would help the overall operation of the PC but it's not going to improve the burning situation at all.

The problem is the PCI bus. The entire PCI bus is limited to 133MB/s and trying to burn multiple copies at once will simply saturate the bus. Even using multiple PCI cards won't fix the problem since they all share the PCI bus anyway.

Also, in my experience add-in PATA controllers don't typically support ATAPI devices all that well (often times not at all).

Also, in my experience add-in PATA controllers don't typically support ATAPI devices all that well (often times not at all).
The exception are ITE based PCI IDE cards, such as the ITE8211/ITE8212 chipsets. The ATAPI support is on-par with that of traditional IDE controllers.

The exception are ITE based PCI IDE cards, such as the ITE8211/ITE8212 chipsets. The ATAPI support is on-par with that of traditional IDE controllers.
VIA chipsets do well too, but never got more then 2 PATA DVD-RW drives working.

ebp123,

If you want to duplicate DVDs then get your self a duplicator unit, prices are from 100 to 200 US$ depending on the amount of drives.