Is this possible? XP connected to only 1/2 IP addresses

rsb

Hi

Is it possible to disable internet, etc in Windows XP, so XP can only access a special IP (192.168.1.150/151) Because then XP cannot be attacked by hackers, virus, etc

So the only communication that can go in and out has to go true 192.168.1.150 (I don't want it to be "online") (Just online in my network(one computer in New York and one in Huston)

Thanks

Hi

Is it possible to disable internet, etc in Windows XP, so XP can only access a special IP (192.168.1.150/151) Because then XP cannot be attacked by hackers, virus, etc

So the only communication that can go in and out has to go true 192.168.1.150 (I don't want it to be "online") (Just online in my network(one computer in New York and one in Huston)

Thanks

And how are the computers physically connected to each other? If one is in NY and one in Houston, I'm assuming you're connected by the Internet, right? Unless you actually have a dedicated circuit between both locations, this isn't possible.

The IP 192.168.x.x is a private IP address, which means it cannot traverse the Internet. When using a home router, usually the router will assign such address to each computer on the network, but translates the 192.168.x.x address to it's actual public address (provided by ISP) prior to sending the info out to the Internet.

Any of the following are private (no Internet) IPs:

10.x.x.x

172.16.x.x

192.168.x.x

If your computer is assigned one of these IPs, then it is on a private network, and it's using the router's IP address for Internet communication (typical)--so giving a computer in a remote location an IP on the same private IP range DOES NOT put them on the same network.

a hardware firewall would be able to be configured the way you are describing :)

True, using a firewall could restict where the traffic from each computer is allowed to go, but the communication between the two would still occur over the internet.

Hi

The 192.168.1.x was just a example :) . So i need a hardware firewall to block internet completely for the computer in Huston? Yes they are connected to internet.

is there any software that will block everything expcept traffice from A to B / B - A

Thanks in advance

Don't set gateway ip and don't set dns ip then your pc works only in LAN , cannot be visible from Internet too even with attack or whatelse ...

Hi, but how can I contact it then? (New York - Huston)

The only reason why I need this is because I cannot risk that the computer is beeing attacked by Virus or Hackers. (The computer in huston is on a Mobile Phone line so updates with Virus software will take to long time I guess)

• 2 weeks later...

If you're connected to the internet, can send/rcv traffic to/from any other device and there is no firewall in between then your system is vulnerable. Theoretically, just by being connected to the net makes you vulnerable, even with a firewall.

The only way to permit traffic from only addresses you specify is via a firewall, preferably a hardware firewall. That's what they are designed for and they can ignore any traffic that doesn't come from a specific address. However, that does not mean the firewall itself cannot be comrpomised. Depending on the critical nature of the data you want to protect, the best, most secure option is a dedicated line.