Keeping system registry clean

Lecco

Is it possible to prevent some program from writing into the system registry? Would setting the files System.dat and User.dat as read-only help? I made a fresh install of Win98 and dont want to get my registry size up to 8,76MB as in the previous Win98 system by only trying some programs. (that write their info into the registry and dont erase it) :angry:

Some time ago, Ive heard about "Total Uninstall". I downloaded it, but never used it really. Have you experience with it? Or do you recommend me another solution? Tell me your opinions! :)

Thanks for the link. ;) I followed the thread, but as I remember, the topic was about compacting the registry... :unsure:

What do you think about Total Uninstall? :unsure:

You'd rather read it again as there is quite a big deal about registry cleaning.

Total Uninstall is one the many programs that cleanup the add-remove program section (I personnaly use Free Uninstaller). While having such a program is usefull, it won't do miracles with the size of the registry.

There are two programs I can think of that can prevent writes to the registry, they are RegProt and MJRegWatcher but they are geared at protecting the registry from malware installing startup entries rather than preventing the registry from growing.

To regain space eaten by applications that have been uninstalled you must run Regedit and go in the the sofware keys, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software, and delete all the entries that belong to software you know you don't have anymore. In addition run a good and safe registry cleaner such as RegSeeker which will eventually remove lots of stuff from the COM keys left over by gone programs.

Total Uninstall is one the many programs that cleanup the add-remove program section (I personnaly use Free Uninstaller). While having such a program is usefull, it won't do miracles with the size of the registry.

But it will at least remove all registry keys that the program has written in it, is that true?

To regain space eaten by applications that have been uninstalled you must run Regedit and go in the the sofware keys, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software, and delete all the entries that belong to software you know you don't have anymore. In addition run a good and safe registry cleaner such as RegSeeker which will eventually remove lots of stuff from the COM keys left over by gone programs.

Yeah I did that some time ago, but didnt exactly know, wheater the registry keys belong to one or other program. So I rather use a program that remembers that for me. :whistle:

But it will at least remove all registry keys that the program has written in it, is that true?

Perhaps if it takes a snapshot of the registry before and after the install and it is able to segregate what is relevant to that installation amongst what has changed in the registry. Why don't you try it ?