Windows XP SP3 and AMD Processor Driver

easy

hi guys,

i have a amd am2 processor and have already installed winxp with slipstreamed servicepack 3.

what do you mean about install processor drivers, should i use the amdk7 drivers in winxp ??

i think the driver is up-to-date or just use the amd driver ??

i'm confuse

thx

SP3 is not officially released and because of that I bet AMD has not really tested SP3. I would leave it alone if you are having no problems!

When SP3 is released to everyone expect AMD to update their driver. Until then I would stick with the default driver SP3 gives you on install unless you are having some problem you think is caused by the default driver.

What's there to test? As far as I know there were absolutely no changes to the way XP handles drivers, and there already have been updates to SP2 if dual-core or however-many-multi-core processors do funny things (and no doubt included in SP3 already at this point). The amdk8.sys driver from AMD's website should work fine and worked fine for me.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, I did have minor problems with XP SP3 3264 relating to threading/scheduling. If I multi-tasked something that required CPU time (music or video), it would slow down everything else. I solved much of it by reapplying the largepageminimum registry change that seems dictated for the AMD K7 CPUs. Hope that helps some.

i think the windows xp amdk7 driver is nothing updated. maybe only the build string was replaced.

i will use the driver on amd site. its imho better then the ms driver.

aren't manufacturers driver better than ms ?

The driver on the Windows CD or with SP releases still come from the vendor, just FYI - Microsoft doesn't make drivers except for branded input devices and for their network cards (which I don't think are being made anymore). So the driver on the disc for the AMD processor came from AMD, not Microsoft. Again, just an FYI (if the updated driver from AMD works better, let us know if it stays stable so others will know what to do when they see your post later).

@cluberti:

FYI - ms driver doesn't support cool & quite ;)

about stability: can nothing say yet, both seems stable.

you can reproduce the cool & quite mode if you run cpu-z

and go to energy settings and select the minimum energy scheme.

cpu-z shows me suddenly from 1,3 to 1,1 Voltage.

hope this was helpful ;)

Edited by easy

i think the windows xp amdk7 driver is nothing updated. maybe only the build string was replaced.

i will use the driver on amd site. its imho better then the ms driver.

I looked for the latest AMD-branded K7 driver on their site and couldn't find it. Anyone have a link? The MS one(s) obviously hasn't been fixed because the registry change below is still a requirement for SP3.

Also, there was a request for the largepageminimum registry change. Here it is: For those that don't know, you can double-click it and add it to the registry.

you can download the phenom driver.

it must be backwards compatible.

latest year i installed x2 driver on my athlon (second) pc.

download site

re: largepageminimum http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270715/en-us

SYMPTOMS

A Windows-based computer may stop responding (hang) when you use an Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) program such as Ziff Davis 3D WinBench 2000. This behavior may occur more frequently depending on the computer's processor, memory, and graphics configuration. This problem is known to occur with NVIDIA GeForce 256 and Matrox G400 video adapters on computers with AMD Athlon processors. This issue is not specific to any particular video adapter type.

APPLIES TO

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)

• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

• Microsoft Windows XP Professional

• Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002

• Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

• Microsoft Windows 2000 Server

• Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server

• Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition

• Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server

Edited by easy