Performance between perpendiculur recording and not

Aright what would be the performance difference between a drive with perpendicular recording and one with out. If everything else is the same. Is perpendicular worth paying more for or not? I understand how perpendicular recording works i am just unsure of how much of an advantage it is.

Well, as far as FPS in games there will be no difference. There's a difference in application load times though. Perpindicular recording allows the data to be packed more densely on the drive. The denser the data, the less the heads have to move, resulting in faster data retrieval. All newer SATA/PATA drives on the market now are perpindicular drives.

Beware the Seagate 7200.11's though. Seagate's sustained transfer rate claims had me thinking the drives were going to be the ones to beat, but the review I read the other day showed otherwise.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13440

Beware the Seagate 7200.11's though. Seagate's sustained transfer rate claims had me thinking the drives were going to be the ones to beat, but the review I read the other day showed otherwise.

I know they perform about 15% less then they clamed, but still one of the best you can get...

*These shards are horrible to read by the way...

Red the whole review. I must say it’s illogic to me. In HD Tach is the fastest in other tests I see it’s a midrange HDD. On THG it shows other numbers; Winner in most benchmarks and tests. To bad I didn’t get my fingers on a 7200.11 to test it my self here (**** Mexico :P ), but I have the WD 16SE 500 AAKS here (close to 70MB/s with HD Tach 3.0.4.0).

Red the whole review.
I did, and in the benchmarks where it matters it wasn't performing up to my standards. :)

Personally, I'm switching back to WD drives. I just got a WD5000AAKS for the express purpose of attaching to my DVR (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD). It works perfectly where the 400GB Seagate 7200.10 I had on the DVR before was giving "hitches" about every 10 minutes or so (sometimes more often). Plus the new WD drive gave me 100GB more space for recordings. I now have a total of 660GB of space for my DVR. :)

like everyone else i just got a SE16 WD5000AAKS too and i'm very happy with it. this is by far the fastest 7200 drive i've ever used. i was actually stunned by it's performance for such a cheap drive.

now if only i had realized before i backed my stuff up that i had my drive set up as a dynamic disk....