new to the whole Linux...Unix....MS DOS

moc_orlando

Then I came across recommendations for CentOS in the Fedora forums. CentOS is the stable version of what Fedora is a testbed for. I like it because it is more stable than Fedora and has a life-cycle of at least five years. Excellent OS for a server and pretty nice as a desktop.

Actually... CentOS is essentially a free copy of RHEL. The CentOS development team won't touch a piece of code unless the RH guys do, which is a good and bad thing. We're running CentOS on all of our servers here at the university, and except for a kernel panic due to faulty drivers, everything's been fine (the kernel panic has since been sorted out and is no longer panicing :P).

I'm running Fedora8 x64 now on my workstation, and I like how they've made things a little more subtle. As for updates, I've just got a weekly cron job that does the updates for me at 4AM every saturday. I'm usually not in the lab at that time, so my work isn't interfered with.

I'm actually really liking Kubuntu more and more for a desktop replacement since it can be so very hands-off like Windows. Adept updates run like Windows Automatic Updates, just about everything works out of the box and I can actually be productive on it quickly w/o having to wrestle with a variety of config files. Plus, it's Debian based so it's very stable (at least for what I'm doing).

It also has sudo setup by default so I don't have to worry myself over the root account. You can fiddle with it to your heart's content, but if you just need to get it up and running in a usable state this is it. I actually stumbled on it b/c I was finding a lot of solutions in their forums.

For Linux these are some of the distros that i have tried (i recommend them)

Ubuntu 7.10-easy to install , good for begginers (not for those from windows though cuz it doesn't have a windows like GUI at least for me !)

Kubuntu 7.10-same as Ubuntu just with KDE it's better for my opinion KDE for me has a more Windows Like Look!

OpenSuSe 10.3-Good too I got the KDE edition and it ran smooth

Sabayon - For those that like to throw win Vista effects to microsoft if you know what i mean perfect EYECANDY !

Puppy or DSL - for portable things i sometimes keep one edition on my USB just for any case it uses XFCE

and about Unix like things I used the followings:

Solaris 10 - Real BIG 4.x gigs and it doesn't have a good eyecandy however it isn't really complicated and it has some good things :D it's made from SUN (Freeware)

Mac OS 7.3 - use Basilisk 2 to run it however you need the roms so legaly own a machine first and there are a lot guides to get started :D Oh and it has some UNIX parts

FreeBSD - didn't use it i just got it recommended from a friend (too much cmds or what i don't know )

hope you like some of these