Black Friday External Hard Drive Deals

cumminbk

Alright i am looking at 2 deals on black friday (the day after thanksgiving) for external hard drives

the first one is at Circuit City for the Seagate Freeagent 500gb for $80

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148235

the other one at best buy for Western digital 500gb for $100

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WDH1...l/dp/B000XRK3LG

i am a huge seagate fan but from reviews i have been reading this one seems to have a high failure rate. Anyone own these drives? Comments what would you guys do?

looking for some good advice

None of both are really bad. Let me tell you this: You can’t find any better. Speed is about the same so don’t worry about that neither. The warranty is different, most of the time Seagate has longer warranty periods the WesterDigital, but this depends on the country you live in. in this case WD will give you ONLY 1 year (2 years in European countries) so I would go for Seagate with 5 years of warranty!

But, both are only USB2; Personally I would look for a version that supports eSATA and EEE1394(Firewire). You pay a few bucks more but ´m sure it will serve you in the future...

I own a Seagate Freeagent 500gb. But mine does do eSata... so I guess it is different. so far I have no issues with it. The software it comes with sucks... but I didn't need it anyways. But I am a seagate fan. You can't beat their warranty! and if it is $20 cheaper then the WD with less warranty... then I think your answer is simple. ;) Have fun fighting the crowds though! :blink: I hear Circuit City is one of the most popular places this black Friday.

There are deals all over the year, especially on computer hardware. That black Friday thingy must be a over hyped sport or something! :P

Here, 119 bucks @ http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...uct_code=345206

There are 2 types of those Seagates:

FreeAgent Desktop with "only" USB2.0

FreeAgent Desktop with "all the goodies"

And then we have the version that you can connect directly in your home/office network. By the way, all these versions come with an external PSU. If you like to take it form place to place you would prefer something smaller, like a 2.5" USB2.0 drive!

western digital external drives are really not the best choice. i have one that was given to me, it has this 30mm cooling fan at the bottom in the back, that fan alone is louder than my PC. i've taken it apart, inside it looks ok, but really its poorly designed, and that fan is terrible.

Glyph makes incredible external drives, i use them at school, silent, the look good, and they have a small footprint [and you can rackmount them].