Something wrong with HFGUIRUNONCE?

Glowy

Recently I was fiddling around with my file structure for HFSLIP, and needed the HFGUIRUNONCE again.

But when I run the install from the created ISO it complains that Whateverfileinhfguirunonce.exe does not exist, wich is correct, because it is renamed to HFGUI1.EXE

when searching I found that the file HFSLPGUI.CMD contained the reference to the "missing" .exe file

HFSLPGUI.CMD

@ECHO OFF
cWnd.exe /hide @
CD %WINDIR%\HFSLIP
START/WAIT Whateverfileinhfguirunonce.exe
EXIT

I tried the following versions so far: 1.6.4rc2, 71103a, 1.6.5, 1.6.6rc2 and 1.6.6rc4

and skipped right back to the oldest I could find: 70828a--tmpchk : same prob.

The filenames have been changed to protect the innocent. :)

Edited by Glowy

Those files are renamed to support long filenames. They are given their original name back during the copy process way in the beginning of Windows setup (txtmode setup).

You should see something like this in TXTSETUP.SIF when you open it in Notepad:

HFGUI1.EXE = 1,,,,,,,999,0,0,"Whateverfileinhfguirunonce.exe"

I should note that executables and MSI files in HFGUIRUNONCE should not contain spaces; they are only allowed for REG files, CMD files and INF files.

hm okay.. I didn't look there, going to do a few more test runs, I only installed with the 1st run, and after that only checked the directory contents could be a bad build the 1st time.

I will leave an update after the next few runs.

Update:

it's there, and used the old iso again, seems like a premature launch (T-12) wonder why. let's see what the next testrun does.

Edited by Glowy

The plan is to have HFSLPGUI.CMD check whether Windows is still in setup or not. If it is, installation should be aborted and called again from the next RunOnce event. This may make it into the upcoming 1.7.0 but it will be there for sure in 1.7.1.

Either way, HFSLPGUI.CMD is only called at T-13/T-12 if a serious error occured during Windows setup that caused it to reboot internally. For example, this could happen if you aren't careful with what you are adding into CMD files in HFSVCPACK.