SmoothText 1.1.8

WildBill

Oh hey WildBill!

Haven't been around for a while; but have kept my beloved Windows 2000 in a virtual machine on a Win7 install... If only W2K could better handle dual-cores and wireless :}

I'm not sure if you're also seeing a mild memory leak with TrueTransparency 1.3... Actually, it will chew up memory indefinitely until I close SmoothText and reopen it, thus regaining leaked RAM.

Here's a screenshot of it; looking awesome as ever:

windows2000professional.th.png

EDIT: Oh yeah, the task manager shows the effect of restarting SmoothText

Unfortunately, school work is picking up (at an exponential rate) and university apps are due soon, so I won't be around too often.

Edited by Colonel O'Neill

Yup, there's definitely a memory leak in 1.0.1. I ran across it earlier tonight and I'm testing a fix. If it's the same bug that you're seeing, you should see the leak stop if you turn skinning off. I've also found a GDI leak in the code that paints rebar controls. It happens whether skinning is on or not, but if you tell SmoothText to not mess with rebar controls then that should stop, too.

Edited by WildBill

• 3 weeks later...

A little update...I was out of town the last two weeks for work. I brought my laptop with me and made a lot of improvements to SmoothText, until...either the beautiful California weather or the icebox they call a lab over there gave me a nasty cold. I'm home now, but for the moment I'm concentrating on recuperating. Still, I managed to start scrollbar support and I've fixed a ton of bugs. I'm on break for the next two weeks, and I plan to release 1.0.2 while I'm off from work.

Edited by WildBill

Your health should be your first concern :)

Don't work too hard over winter holidays!

Btw, I'm seeing major leaking when using aMSN; as in the rate of memory loss is about 1MB every 5 seconds. :o

EDIT: It is momentarily alleviated by unchecking Enable text smoothing, apply, rechecking, apply. At this point taskmgr shows memory usage as stable for a while. Memory starts disappearing somewhere during use again.

Happy Holidays! :hello:

Edited by Colonel O'Neill

Getting there...the list of changes in the changelog will be pretty long, when I get around to typing it up. This one definitely has some memory leak fixes.

This is Tripo's Uber skin...I've made a lot of tweaks and some additions to it, and it will come with SmoothText. Scrollbar support is far from complete and won't be when I release 1.0.2 this week, but it's a good start.

Edit: I had the wrong group box image file name so they weren't showing up. Fixed...

post-68113-1261975592_thumb.png

post-68113-1261975851_thumb.png

post-68113-1261976047_thumb.png

Edited by WildBill

Looking good! :thumbup It's funny how often I use certain controls (and even referenced some during coding) but can never attach a name to a control. XD

I've been flicking the advanced skinning checkboxes on and off to isolate the leak, but the issue seems intermittent and difficult to reliably reproduce.

Happy New Year to you too!

Skinning the taskbar now works perfectly, although I am seeing the missing 32-bit icon issue that Tihiy is referring; the icon in the taskbar is blank. I use Daedalus, and I'm fairly certain Tihiy does as well.

And I am seeing a leak out of explorer; the virtual memory size just keeps going up, which means I have to either restart SmoothText or Explorer.exe

I am also getting a

This application has leaked memory. The small block leaks are (excluding expected leaks registered by pointer):

5 - 20 bytes: EAbstractError x 1, AnsiString x 2
21 - 36 bytes: AnsiString x 3
37 - 52 bytes: AnsiString x 1
133 - 148 bytes: AnsiString x 1
213 - 244 bytes: AnsiString x 1

It also left a blank error log in C:... Weird :blink:

Making an original skin is harder than it looks. sigh.

Best wishes to all for the new year! :D

I'm not seeing the memory leak, but I'm working on the other issues. I think I might have fixed the issue with the blank logs, the AnsiString leaks, and I've fixed a bug in skinning the menu background. I've also updated Gridlok.ini to use the start button overlay and menu skinning. I'll keep working at it today, and will probably release a 1.0.3 version tonight.

Edited by WildBill

It seems like the issue is with Daedalus; disabling the blending service makes the leaking disappear. It also brings back task bar icons, albeit at 24-bit color.

Also there seems to be a minor conflict with TrueTransparency in regards to modal windows such as the Run box from Task Manager:

62586721.th.png

But other than that, it's running faster then ever, with no other conflicts that I've encountered. Great work! ^^