Some hotfix switches

So using the svcpack method aswell as ryanvms integration and dotnet stuff I've managed to nail the computer down to only having 8 updates left. Ie7 and wmp11 work totally fine in svcpack. However, I've tried numerous switches with the following updates and they either do not install all together or a window comes up during T13 that basically says "these switches dont work, try these" and it just gives generic switches for the windows installer. Here goes.

KB939653

kb928365

kb936181

kb938127

kb933579

kb928366

kb934238

kb932471

I'd like to note that I've tried type 1 and type 2 switches on these and really..im confused as to tell which is which because according to a post I read on here I believe the type2 switches have a different icon then what I assumed were type 2 hotfixes (the dotnet ones like 365 and 366) So if anyone has these ones integrated and they WORK please let me know what switches I need and where i should put em. I'll post my svcpack info below aswell.

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

MajorVersion=5

MinorVersion=1

BuildNumber=2600

[setupData]

CatalogSubDir="\i386\SVCPACK"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

[setupHotfixesToRun]

dotnetaio.exe

IE7.exe /passive /norestart

wmp11.exe /Q:A /R:N

kb939653.exe /q /n /z

kb933729.exe /q /n /z

kb941202.exe /q /n /z

kb890830.exe /q /n /z

kb936021.exe /q /n /z

kb939683.exe /q /n /z

kb933360.exe /q /n /z

kb936782.exe /q /n /z

kb938127.exe /q /n /z

kb938828.exe /q /n /z

kb921503.exe /q /n /z

kb938829.exe /q /n /z

kb929399.exe /q /n /z

qchain.exe

Hi,

I typically use the following switches on most hotfixes:

WindowsXP-KB932168-x86-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart /overwriteoem

For WMP11 I use:

wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /P:#e /DisallowSystemRestore /SetWMPAsDefault"

and for IE7:

IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe /passive /update-no /norestart

/silent works here also but I like to see IE7 installing.

Kind Regards

Simon

P.S. QCHAIN is no logger needed on XP or Vista.

Edited by PsiMoon314

As I posted already, wmp11 and ie7 work totally fine already. All the files in my svcpack update and work. Its the ones that i listed first that dont. I'll try that one you said you use for most hotfixes and see what happens. Do hotifxes need to be in any specific order? Thanks muchly.

As I posted already, wmp11 and ie7 work totally fine already. All the files in my svcpack update and work. Its the ones that i listed first that dont. I'll try that one you said you use for most hotfixes and see what happens. Do hotifxes need to be in any specific order? Thanks muchly.

Here's an update. So i appended that switch to the above 8 updates mentioned in my first post. during T13, 4 windows popped up which are the "wrong switch" thing. So i figured 4 of em worked. According to add/remove programs with "show updates" 2 of them installed...so 6 didnt. The strange thing is that when automatic updates is finished downloading stuff...it shows the 2 updates that are in ad/remove programs as updates ready to be installed.

KB939653 & KB938127 are the updates that are both in add/remove programs and still in windows updates.

These updates below are the 6 that didnt have correct switches (4 of which said so, 2 didnt...and i dont know which is which) that didnt install.

KB928365

kb936181

kb933579

kb928366

kb934238

kb932471

I'd also like to point out that in the $hf-mig$ dir in /windows, there are both the uninstallers for the 2 updates above that are in add/remove programs...ALSO..after running automatic updates and installing 127 again, a new directories appeared in hf-mig except with -ie7 on the 127 update.

so now in hf-mig theres a dir called kb938127 and kb938127-ie7 and the file sizes are different. the -ie7 version is about .4mbs lower.

Thanks again.

Here's an update. So i appended that switch to the above 8 updates mentioned in my first post. during T13, 4 windows popped up which are the "wrong switch" thing. So i figured 4 of em worked. According to add/remove programs with "show updates" 2 of them installed...so 6 didnt. The strange thing is that when automatic updates is finished downloading stuff...it shows the 2 updates that are in ad/remove programs as updates ready to be installed.

KB939653 & KB938127 are the updates that are both in add/remove programs and still in windows updates.

These updates below are the 6 that didnt have correct switches (4 of which said so, 2 didnt...and i dont know which is which) that didnt install.

KB928365

kb936181

kb933579

kb928366

kb934238

kb932471

I'd also like to point out that in the $hf-mig$ dir in /windows, there are both the uninstallers for the 2 updates above that are in add/remove programs...ALSO..after running automatic updates and installing 127 again, a new directories appeared in hf-mig except with -ie7 on the 127 update.

so now in hf-mig theres a dir called kb938127 and kb938127-ie7 and the file sizes are different. the -ie7 version is about .4mbs lower.

Thanks again.

Here's an update. I've nailed the updates down so there are only 3 critital and 0 optional updates once the disc is finished! I had to get some different netframework installers that had some of those patches integrated and all is well so far. But i cant seem to get these last 3 updates to work with switches.

KB939653

KB936181

KB939127

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Did you ever find a solution to integrating KB936181? I have the same issue on the 2 msxml updates for Windows Server 2003. Not quite sure the correct switches to integrate (if it's even possible).

I have similar problems, using nlite I fail to integrate

on XP with no extra stuff (no .NET) added, just IE7 and WMP11. Though I get no error messages, I moved them around in the update list with no effect...

I have similar problems, using nlite I fail to integrate

on XP with no extra stuff (no .NET) added, just IE7 and WMP11. Though I get no error messages, I moved them around in the update list with no effect...

KB890046 is meant for x64, not for x86 hence it fails. Remove it from your list. All others should be fine I believe. Try it again without the before mentioned hotfix. You may want to check all your updates to see if you are trying to include more wrong hotfixes, which might cause problems for the above mentioned updates which failed to integrate. Also, what happens if you try to integrate the above mentioned hotfixes manually instead of using nLite?