P5N32 SLI + E6600 Startup problems

Justas

I have two systems at the moment with a very similar problem. One of them is a P5N32 SLI Premium, the other a P5N32 SLI SE DLX, and they both are running with 2GB 667 memory and an E6600 CPU.

I am wondering if there is a compatibility issue with this series of ASUS board and the E6600 series? They have a history of not POSTing then POSTing inconsistently. It seems when the CPUs are reseated it fixes the issue for awhile. I have tried replacing the board and the CPU without any luck correcting this problem. It almost seems like certain revisions of this board and processor do not function correctly together.

Last time I thought I fixed the problem because of a the faulty board, it came back within weeks. And now that I have tried a new CPU as well on the new board it does not fix the problem either. I am going to try a new BIOS next time I am able to POST the machine but I am not sure if that will fix anything. Both of these machines are very similar except that one contains a WD HDD and a 7900 while the other has an 8800GTS and a Seagate HDD.

Any help on this topic would be appreciated, thanks.

I updated the BIOS and haven't had an issue yet. However it took me 5 days before I could even get it to stop POSTing. Guess I get to keep testing.

If it happens again I will mess with the memory, but I don't have much experience with memory and don't want to screw anything up.

Yea "fixed"... Well one of them was a massive upgrade in BIOS and seems to work. However the P5N32 Premium with 8800 GTS with Kingston KVR667D2N5/1G does not want to work. It was working fine until boss told me to sub out memory and board. After I swapped it all out and POSTed it I went to BIOS and loaded defaults. However it froze on restoring defaults and when I rebooted it would no longer work. I have tried the Kingston 533 1GB stick and a Corsair 675 2GB kit (4-4-4-12). Depending where the memory is positioned in the slots it will either give me and error beep code or nothing. They range from the general no memory beeps to a long beep. I assume this new motherboard I have is even more defective then the other.

I am not sure what the timings are default for the Kingston 667. Hopefully that sheds a bit more light on this.

Well finally convinced boss to go back to old board and memory lol....

Applied the new timings to the memory and now for the more fun testing... *joy*

Hopefully that change will fix the problem...I am just afraid once I send it back they will hit defaults and get the **** thing back again.