WEIRD PROBLEM

raphjoe@att.net

There was a virus on my computer that spewed forth hundreds of popups and fake system notification bubbles in my taksbar, on buting their virus infested software, which i removed. How did I know it was removed? when I restarted the computer, it was gone. So, after turning it off at the end of the day, the next day when i restarted it, it was for some reason, it was bck in the taskbar, but not spewing popups, unless I clicked on the bubble.

ANyway, I decided to do a repair install, as the virus had also taken out all of the help files in every single program, on my computer,and also hoped the virus would be eradicated for good. WELL, the product key didn't work...what to do? i stumbled on a site that had a product key that supposedly would work, i had no other option, so i tried it an dit continued installation.

at the end, it asked me if i wanted to do activation online, from the guides, i had read, i was to say no, as i was susceptible to the blaster worm, as service pack 2 had been uninstalled,so when it got to the login screen, i logged in and for some reason it goes straight to product activation, and i can't activate online, becuase it won't let me even get into windows to set up my wireless card. also, i don't want to call for the fact that the product key i got offline, would render me unhelpable.

So, my question is aren't i supposed to have 30 days before it locks me out? and why didn't my original product key work? and what do i do now, i can only log in, by booting into safe mode w/command prompt, but every 5 secs, everything closes and a message from the desktop, like an id***, asks me if i want to use safe mode, or system restore, and i am getting quite fed up, what can i do, and what happened to my 30 days?!

There are many reasons why WPA would want you to reactivate. XP should let you activate online, it isnt letting you do that? You can activate 3 times online within any 3 month period. If you need to change your product key microsoft has a .vbs file that lets you do that.

Windows XP will let you repair it even with the wrong CD. IE you can repair an XP OEM with an XP Retail CD. Thats what it sounds what happened. Make sure you have the right XP CD and do another repair install.

-gosh

Possibly easier explination... I'm assuming you have a Manufactured PC (ex: Dell, HP, IBM...) they come installed with a Royalty OEM Product key, that is the same across the board for ALL of their PC's. However, they place a sticker with a unique key to make it legit with Microsoft. So, when you use the key on the side of the system, it doesn't match the OEMBIOS pre-activation files that are on the system... Hence making you register the system again.

To add to my previous post... It sounds like you are infected with Vundo.

I have had this before too.. it is a royal pain to remove sometimes. However if you search, there should be a Vundo Fix program out there...

thanks, i got rid of the virus, but now my laptop won't boot from the cd, but runs them when logged in(of course i can only access safe mode cmd prompt),...? what do i do now?

i want to do a repair install or just run chkdsk, becuase that worked b4, but can't due to this werid cd issue...