what causes this

colore

If I had to guess, it's a safety thing for certain applications that (under NTFS) would read for an 8x3 name and get "program" as a directory instead of "Program Files" or "PROGRA~1" as Windows 98/ME flew.

I wouldn't worry unless you have programs that have problems with NTFS style file names.

from what i can find its usually associated with an IRC "chat" program called Mirc or vincula but it can be any application that uses an installer that doesnt recognize long file names. look in you c:\ folder for a file named 'Program' if you open it in notepad, it will contain the rest of the path that the installer was supposed to use and may tell you what caused the problem in the first place but the easiest fix is just to renane the file or delete it.

It is probably a log file from a program. Basically the program probably meant to put a log in it's own program files directory... but the path was not wrapped in quotes... so once it got to a space in the path the program thought the logs name was Program. Is there any text in the Program file?