DirectX 9.0c November

PC_LOAD_LETTER

how many versions of Directx 9.0c do we really need?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Somebody needs to either explain to me why the version # never changes or inform MS that it might be time to bump up to directx 9.1, 9.01, hell they could call it 'DirectX 9.01a November 2007 Professional Ultimate Edition' for all i care -as long as they increment the version #!! Im sorry but having 5 different versions of DirectX 9.0c doesn't make sense.

Guy 1: <New PC Game> runs like crap!

Guy 2: Do you have DirectX 9.0c? the Readme says you need it.

Guy 1: Yeah didnt that come with SP2?

Guy 2: No that was DirectX 9.0a -well they didnt call it 9.0a at the time, but thats what it was called when DirectX 9.0b came out.

Guy 1: 9.0b?

Guy 2: Yeah i never saw it either but i have seen DirectX 9.0c so assume there had to be a 9.0b

Guy 1: How do i tell if i have the latest DirectX 9.0c?

Guy 2: Download it, Install it & reboot. Its the only way to know for sure.

Guy 1: Screw it. Im going to play Zelda instead.

Directx changes very little from build to build. The primary reason why microsoft releases small updates is to be redistributed by 3rd parties. For example, if microsoft added functionality for a video card or game i'll release a new version then that 3rd party will put the directx on a cd to be installed.

And where does microsoft say you have to download every directx version? It's not a critical update on windows update. It sounds like you wasted several hours downloading versions of directx then blamed microsoft for your own ignorance.

-gosh

Uhm, I have only one version of DirectX on my PC and that's version 9.0c. I don't see what the big deal about keeping it updated is because when you install a game that needs whatever was added to a revision is just going to get installed by that game anyway.