Hellgate London Demo

Polarman

I downloaded Hellgate London Demo to try it out. It's big 1.45GB

This is suppose to be the next Diablo-ish RPG but more in FPS style from the original creators of Diablo.

Since it's only a demo, i had some mixed feelings about it. It's interesting in way but it lacks in others. I played too much D2 i guess.

The levels in the demo felt a bit claustrophobic and bland. It would have been more interesting to be more open ended. Same tileset repetion. Choose your weapons... Guns or Swords. I hope the real game has better choices. The sword killing action and the overall movements did not feel convincing. The action would have been pretty awesome if it was more like God of War. Palladium = Gold. Go figure. Where's my loot chest? How about that! You can walk trough any NPC's! You can even get Wirt's Leg? To bad the demo did not have a tome of TP's to open the cow level. NPC's are bad actors. Apparently, the real game has a level cap of 50. This seems small, I like 99 better. I reached level 5 in the demo. I don't know how much time you have to invest to reach 50. Online MP at 10$ a month to get updated contents once in a while. Mmmm... In my opinion, Unless the real game (not the demo) can influence hardcore D2 fans, they will not jump the guns that easely. Going from Isometric view to FPS view is a big gamble. I remember when ULTIMA 8 came out. Fans were outraged! I have a hard time to imagine PVP in this game. Bill Roper and his crew should have focused more on a real Diablo 3, because that what every fan has been waiting for since 1998. When Sacred came out in 2004, it was regarded as the next D3. But too many flaws and the D2 die hard fans kept it from reaching a golden status. I have Sacred Gold and it's a fantastic game. I really hope Sacred 2 can recapture more of the lost glory.

I'll give the Hellgate London demo 6/10.

sadly, I have completely downloaded the 1.45GB file, installed it, and played all the way through the demo (at least I think i have -i cant find any more missions or things to kill)

first off the install process is crap 1.45GB download is a rar self extractor that creates a 1.45GB folder which then runs the install which then installs the game which takes up 1.39GB once installed

wasting 3GB isnt really that big of a deal but is kinda pointless to extract then extract again.

as for the game itself it runs fairly well with minimal tweaking of the options (most of which didnt require restarts :thumbup )

gameplay is kinda one dimensional hack and slash with brief seconds of fast paced gameplay (remind you of anything?)

Its fun in a Diablo kinda way but its a very very limited demo which may misrepresent the game as being very linear (I really do hope the missions get better)

it has "Warts Leg" -it sold to vendor for like 6 Pal

it has the loot chest/stash -its next to the merchant

I get the impression that this is really more of a tech demo than a gameplay demo.