Where are the uninstall files stored

Clicky

Recent Discovery (20 min before this update):

I have just done a test and found that when I turn off system restore my \windows\winsxs folder

Doubles in size to more than 6GB.

Windows seems to have move all the uninstall manifests to the winsxs folder.

Should I create a restore point and let disk cleanup remove all restore points except last (mine)?

I will try this next.

I have:

I turned off System Restore ran the option to delete system restore points & shadow copies and my winsxs folder returned to about 3GB in size.

I am still wondering whats going on!

Hi all,

This is my first post and I would very interested in any comments.

Preamble:

Previous versions of Window (XP, 2000) after hofixes were installed they where downloaded to

“%systemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder” and the backup file stored as hidden folders $un* in the

%systemRoot% directory.

When my system is working properly I would normally delete all uninstall folders.

I Use “dial-a-Fix” to empty my download folder above (I keep a copy of all folders and replace them in other installations before starting windows update).

I then use CCleaner to selecting only the “installer” option to remove all references to uninstallers from “Add Remove Programs”. i.e. it removes the long list of updates.

I don’t use /n or /nobackup option when manually installing hotfixes ; you can’t remove them from the “Add Remove Programs” updates list if you do (remove will be missing).

Similarly I always modify the “svcpack.inf” if I have integrated (slipstreamed) any hotfixes by taking out “/n” switch so updates can be removed from the “Add Remove Programs” list.

(It will important for System restore to be turned off or it will back up the files that you have deleted and your partition size will grow and not shrink)

I am one of those people who hates list with unneeded items and yes, I always make sure my system drive is “C” for what-ever partition I boot from.

My Question:

I am still new to Vista.

I can empty the “downloads folder”.

1) Where are the uninstall files stored?

2) Are there any pitfalls in deleting them?

It has taken me a long to get to the question but any feedback will be of interest.

Thanks

Edited by Clicky

• 1 month later...

Hey I discovered the same thing that you described here and didn't realise that System Restore was off on my comp. In fact, since I dual boot Vista with XP, I'd turned off System Restore because of an issue which arises in an XP & Vista dual-boot configuration. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185). I asked some questions here and see what I got in reply: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/200...29/6608419.aspx . Now I'm wondering why is there no /n or /nobackup switch in Vista. Also, what is the relation between System Restore and %windir%\WinSxS on Vista? Does the WinSxS size increase every time you install a hotfix and when SR is disabled and vice versa?