Language of windows and other questions

Thinking

Hello

I have just purchased old ibm thinkpad 760el laptop, and i was thinking that i would install 98se on the machine.

But my guestions are:

1: Most of unofficial updates on this page say that they need english 98se, are they important if i want to connect the laptop to internet and will they work on finnish 98se?

2: Is it even possible (even with the updates) to keep the machine connected to internet or will it fill itself with viruses and spyware?

3: Are there any free antivirus software that work with 98se?

4: What web browsers work with 98se.

5: are there any screenshots of "Revolutions Pack 7" what are it's system requirements

If somebody could answer these questions it woul be great :thumbup

Edited by Thinking

2: Is it even possible (even with the updates) to keep the machine connected to internet or will it fill itself with viruses and spyware?

4: What web browsers work with 98se.

2: If you don't use IE (or any of it's clones) as your internet browser nor Outlook as your email client and have folder sharing disabled in network properties you should be 99.9% safe I think. You should still beware of downloaded html help files (*.chm) because they could eventually contain javascript exploit code and, as they use the IE runtime, could eventually download malicious stuff on your machine. Best defence for this potential but quite unlikely scenario is to have a firewall whose rule does not allow HH.exe to go automatically on the network. I think that this is all but it does apply to all MS OSes up to Vista really. Just in the case of 2K-XP and Vista there is apparently loads more stuff to disable to be safe.

4:Latest Opera, Firefox and K-Meleon (Not sure if the latest of those are still compatible), Off-By-One if you are paranoid.

[...]

1: Most of unofficial updates on this page say that they need english 98se, are they important if i want to connect the laptop to internet and will they work on finnish 98se?

[...]

3: Are there any free antivirus software that work with 98se?

[...]

1. They are important. Most, unfortunately, will not work on anything but english 98SE, and might take your finnish system out of comission. A few might work correctly, but that's untested, AFAIK. Only language neutral fixes are guaranteed to work, albeit they are pretty rare. If you are setting up a new system, I, for one, recommend you to use the english Win 98SE. You can find it (the original CD) really cheap on eBay and related sites, nowadays.

3. Yes. I use and recommend strongly AVG 7.5.

HTH

1. English fixes will work just fine but if they're not language neutral, they will change the system language for the parts updated. For exemple, your files properties tab or your explorer menus might start to talk in english...

3. Personnaly, I like Avast... Just a matter of tastes.

5. Check Tihiy's website for RP6 screenshots. RP7 looks the same with improvements on lameskin. You'll need a WinMe CD but also... there's no finnish translation of RP7 so you'll need an english 98.