XP vs 2000 vs 2003 for lite system

ehird

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which would be best? (please reply to state reason)

• nLite + Windows 2000 Professional
    • nLite + Windows XP Professional
    • nLine + Other (reply)

allright,

I must try this server 2003 thing at least once..

Any interesting last_session.ini to share ? any tips, useful advice that will make transition from Xp easier ?

can't enable hardware acceleration (the directx thing ..) with a tweak in nlite, any solution for that ?

thanks.

Any interesting last_session.ini to share ? any tips, useful advice that will make transition from Xp easier ?

can't enable hardware acceleration (the directx thing ..) with a tweak in nlite, any solution for that ?

thanks.

There is a guide on MSFN that will walk you through making 2003 behave like XP.

http://win2k3.msfn.org/

Have a look through that.

Also, I reccomend looking at Black Viper's guide to disable useless services after you nLite the CD.

I also reccomend XPize on the CD files, to make it look a little nicer. Replaces those dirty win95 style icons Microsoft forgot about.

I personally had some problems with installing my HP printer. The drivers said 2003 is unsupported. I found a workaround by modding the .ini file in the drivers. You might have to do something like that in rare cases.

Edited by brucevangeorge

Innocent Devil

I personally had some problems with installing my HP printer. The drivers said 2003 is unsupported. I found a workaround by modding the .ini file in the drivers. You might have to do something like that in rare cases.
Could you give an example of how to mod this, please :rolleyes:

Could you give an example of how to mod this, please :rolleyes:

Sure. I did it for my 3900 series printer. It said the O/S is unsupported.

So I looked for the .ini file which contained the O/S codes. I changed it from 501 -> 502 (server 2003 code) just so you know: 410 is win95, 490 is win98, 500 is 2000, and 501 is XP. Don't know about Vista, my guess is the build code is probably 601.

Here is a sampe form the autorun.inf file.

Its located in the driver pack. After it unpacks itself usiing FEAD 2.5, it leaves a 'Temp' folder where everything is unpacked.

AdminRightRequired=1
RunIfFailureAsynch=
RunIfFailureSynch=
RunIfFailureSynchTimeout=
RunIfWarningAsynch=
RunIfWarningSynch=
RunIfWarningSynchTimeout=
OSList=410,490,500,501
MaxOS=
MinSysDisk=300
RecSysDisk=681
MinDisk=1001

Notice the OSList? I just changed 501 to 502 and then it worked. I went through with notepad to change everything manually.

There is another way by installing the driver through device manager. You select the .inf file in the 'Temp' folder to match to the hardware.

So you go: Device Manager > Update Driver (thru right-click menu of the hardware you want to install driver for) > (Advanced) option> 'Don't Search' > 'Have Disk' and then look for the .inf in the 'Temp' folder where everything is unpacked.

This other option doesn't work too often though, its a hit or miss for me.

Edited by brucevangeorge

BTW

I tested Vista, and I really don't liked it.

Just like before, seems like if I "upgrade" my OS, it will have to be to a Server...

Server 2008, that's the one I was expecting. Vista looks/fashion, Server reliability/speed/security.

Just waiting it to be on FINAL form.

Greets