Date sort function improvement

cmmcnamara

I just thought that I'd suggest an improvement to nLite and thats the sort by date function in the hotfix section. I like to keep the hotfixes sorted by date so that everything installs as it should, but the date function only sorts the dates by the format YYYY/MM/DD which is fine but there are some hotfixes using the format DD/MM/YYYY which are still sorted using the previous method resulting in about 12 hotfixes (that I know of) sorted out of order.

Eg: There are two hotfixes released on January 3rd 2006, one is listed at the bottom of the list with 2006 and 2007 dates like it should because it is in the format 2006/01/03 while the other is at the top because it is in the format 01/03/2006.

actually, the 'real' improvement would be to force addon makers to use the same date format and to also force the date to reflect when the addonpack was built, not when the software was first released.

Either that or add support in the addon packs for both dates, addon pack creation and software release date.

The important thing is a standardized format for date. I've seen at least 5 different formats including mixed numbers/letters.

When I create files with the same base name and the only thing unique is the date I prefer:

YYYY-MM-DD--HH-MM-SS where HH is 00-23 (the time only being necessary if you need that kind of granularity)

I also enforce the length of the mask above by inserting a leading zero for anything that is one digit.

i.e. MM is 01-12 DD is 01-28~31 etc.

It sorts nicely in a file/folder list.

That is the only reason I like year month day order for a filename (and of course 24 hour time if necessary).

actually, the 'real' improvement would be to force addon makers to use the same date format

Yes, i agree with this. Best just to force them to use the same date format. Just use the same format as M$ hotfixes...

Edited by legolash2o

Well the problem I'm having isn't with add ons its with the hotfixes themselves. The recent hotfixes starting late 2006 are using the YYYY/MM/DD format while older ones like from 2004 are using the MM/DD/YYYY format. And to nuhi, yes it is the mirror image.