KB941649 problems...

tarlar

I had the problem with this particular hotfix as well. I've never used vLite, yet. So, vLite is out of the equation for this problem.

Those of you having problem with this hotfix, are you guying using your SATA HDD as in AHCI mode??

1. I downloaded some hotfixes including KB941649 in my HDD. (Windows XP)

2. Format my c:\

3. Install Vista x64

4. As soon as Vista is installed, I installed hotfixes manually. (Installing hotfixes was the first thing. None of device drivers are installed).

5. After installing KB941649, I got prompted to reboot. So I rebooted.

6. Windows would not load from the loading screen.

So, I formatted my c:\ drive again, and started fresh installation of Vista x64.

This time, I installed AHCI driver for Intel ICH9R (south bridge) from my USB flash drive at the beginning stage of Vista installation. (Where you get prompted with list of your drives/partitions, and where to install Vista etc. Click "Load Drivers" and let it install AHCI driver for ICH9R).

As soon as Vista is installed, I installed KB941649. No problem. :thumbup

I think KB941649 has something to do with AHCI driver/mode. Just make sure you've installed AHCI driver prior to install this hotfix. Also make sure the driver is the latest one from your chipset manufacturer.

This is definitly a Vista bug and has nothing to do with vlite.

Had the same problem with Vista 32bit (not a vlite installation) on my ASUS V2S Notebook.

The update has problems with SATA HDD Controllers.

I Switched the SATA settings in BIOS and was able to boot (normal boot).

On my Notebook I changed these settings in BIOS:

1. Advanced -> IDE Configuration -> SATA Operation Mode -> switched to "compatible"

2. Security -> I/O Interface Security -> eSATA Interface -> switched to "locked" (-> means disable for my notebooks bios)

Here are the steps I did afterwards:

1. uninstalled the update

2. rebooted & activated SATA settings in BIOS again

3. installed the latest version of my sata driver (previously was no vendor driver installed)

4. installed the KB941649 again

5. reboot

Everything is working fine, no hangs on boot at "crcdisk.sys" anymore.

Edited by 128-bit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a problem with this update. I've included it in my Update Pack but there is a problem with it. For me it just won't integrate but it does install off WU afterwards. Another member has suggested that this isn't the only update that does this but it's the only one I've encountered. I'm still waiting for fedback but I assume that it happens to everyone since I made a post that said so...

no mount your install.wim with Imagex and create the folder "Prefetch" inside the Windowsfolder. Now unmount the Image with the commit parameter to create a changed install.wim.

Now you can integrate the Fix with vLite. or wait until Monday when nuhi releases next vLite and he uses this workaround inside vLite to integrate that Fix ;)