How to disable stupid files/folders protection?

Master_T

Hi guys!

There is a thing that really annoys me in Vista, and it is the idiotic file/folders "protection" that doesn't allow me to delete/modify certain files or folders.

Let me explain better. I'm not talking about UAC, but of the fact that when I try to delete certain files (file type appears to be random...) usually files left from uninstallations (seems even the software uninstaller itself cant delete them!) vista just keeps saying

"To execute this operation you need authorization

Retry, Cancel"

(or sthing similar, I have the italian version of windows, dunno if it translets like that actually)

I'm the only user of the PC, and obviously I have administrative powers, UAC is disabled, but it seems this is not enough. Every time I want to delete certain files (note they aren't system files... last time it happened with a dll left from the uninstallation of the LG mobile phones manager software) I have to open up the file/folder proprieties, go to protection, became owner of the item, close proprieties, reopen them, give myself authorization to modify files, close the explorer window, reopen it and then FINALLY I can delete the item.

I find this behaviour stupid, in WinXP I never had such problems, I could delete almtos any file I wanted without having to become "owner" of it (as if there where other users in the system!! I'm the only user!) , or change permissions, or anything.

Is there a way to disable this??

Retry, Cancel"

That error message is telling you that the file is in use (has an Open Handle) by some application, you can either:

Wait for the App to close the handle - then delete file.

Find which App owns the handle, close the app - then delete the file.

Use a utility like UnLocker, to force the handle closed - then delete the file.

Retry, Cancel"

That error message is telling you that the file is in use (has an Open Handle) by some application, you can either:

Wait for the App to close the handle - then delete file.

Find which App owns the handle, close the app - then delete the file.

Use a utility like UnLocker, to force the handle closed - then delete the file.

Nope.

I have unlocker, and it tells me there are no open processes that lock the file.

In fact, when I change theyr aouthorization, I can delete them. It's just that it's extreemly annoying.

Thx, interesting read, but still quite useless to my prob. I didn't want to know nor learn how protection works... just wished there was a way to just disable it like or set it like it was in XP (read: non existent, or at least not active by default, cos I never saw the "protection" tab in file proprieties or had any problems of this kind before).

Well, if there isn't, I think I'll just have to live with it.

Maybe I'll suggest to the vlite team if they can add a feauture to remove it pre-installation :thumbup

Thx for your answers.

Master_T

Edited by Master_T

Why don't you activate built-in Administrator (AKA GOD ACCOUNT), rename it to your liking and start chipping away at your os?

You can do this via Run >> secpol.msc

Go to Local Policies >> Security Options

Accounts: Administrator account status = enabled

Accounts: Rename administrator account = <something OTHER THAN Administrator> FOR SAFETY!

User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account = disabled

Like I said, this will open your os to run in a very unsecure fashion. You will have free reign of the system, however it is not recommended.

Have fun.

Edited by razormoon

Like I said, this will open your os to run in a very unsecure fashion. You will have free reign of the system, however it is not recommended.

I know, it's like using the root account in UNIX based systems... I know that with admin powers you can do almost anything you want, but I also know it's risky.

The poin is that I didn't have that file protection policy in XP, and I was not using admin account....

Why don't you activate built-in Administrator (AKA GOD ACCOUNT), rename it to your liking and start chipping away at your os?

Actually, even the built-in Admin account doesn't have write access to most of the important system files. By default, much of Vista is set up to only allow the TrustedInstaller SID full control. Thus you would still need to take ownership of said files and then grant yourself Full Control permissions. To get things to act just like XP does, copy the code below into a batch file and run it.

takeown /F C:\Windows /A /R /D Y
icacls C:\Windows /grant Administrators:F /T /C /L
takeown /F "C:\Program Files" /A /R /D Y
icacls "C:\Program Files" /grant Administrators:F /T /C /L

Of course, doing so will negate any security benefits that locking down such files gives you, so do so at your own folly.

• 2 months later...

When I moved from windows 98, used it from when I first got my computer back on November 24th 1999 to April 27th 2007, then to 2000 then XP, I always ran, and still run, as admin. Well, 98 it isn't a choice really since you are admin when just you but 98 can be plugged up and not many of the stuff affects it as much as the later systems. For years I have run in admin modes and I haven't gotten hit by anything. Maybe once in a blue moon a script from a website that got owned will nab me but otherwise I scan check everything and block what I don't need or want and am alert for anything that might happen. I don't click on suspicious mails or sites. I'm use to this way of working.

When I started out yeah I was clicking everything and didn't know what a firewall was at all, nor about security. Heck, it took me half an hour to figure out how to log on to AOL. The sign in button was right in front of me but I kept thinking why do I have to do this when I already did sign up for the service, duh. One time a guy said he could color correct my AOL profile picture if I sent it his way. Instead I sent him the adobe 4.0 program's exe file which came with the compaq. :blushing: Those were fun times, lol.

Edited by rjisinspired