Missing file for Microsoft Update?

Bugs Bunny

• 2 weeks later...

on repeated testing, using the links in Windows XP SP2 updates for use with HFSLIP site, the resulting windows still needed downloading ActiveX on initial update.

Is there a newer version for the windows update agent and the ActiveX?

By the way the MuAuth.cab has one drawback, it also made the Windows Update link in the Start Menu to the Microsoft Update. And slipstreaming it with HFSLIP, the resulting windows even needed downloading Windows Update and the ActiveX on initial update!

on repeated testing, using the links in Windows XP SP2 updates for use with HFSLIP site, the resulting windows still needed downloading ActiveX on initial update.

Is there a newer version for the windows update agent and the ActiveX?

Are you using HFSLIP 1.7.0? Can you check in HFSLIP.LOG if HFSLIP detected your language correctly?
By the way the MuAuth.cab has one drawback, it also made the Windows Update link in the Start Menu to the Microsoft Update.
The link is actually not changed. It's just that the Windows Update site automatically redirects to the Microsoft Update site if that is installed. This also happens when you go to the Microsoft Update site yourself.

Is that the version from July 31, 2007? (right-click WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe > Properties > Digital signatures)

MS have recently started to push through LegitCheckControl.cab from October 11, 2007. Make sure that's the one you have.

I tested again. I have checked the WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe and LegitCheckControl.cab in the HF and HFCABS.

WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe 's Digital Signature is 31 July 2007. It is the one downloaded from the link in post#4.

LegitCheckControl.cab. 's digital signature is 12 October, 2007.

The resulted windows still needed download Windows Update on first update.

I tried to run the same WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe after windows has been setup.

Then it had no problem. It did not need downloading Windows Update.

I suspect some installlers in HFSVCPACK might have replaced the WIndows Update Agent.

Probably the MUI_CHT.exe !

Edited by ykchanaed

Another problem is the OGAControl.

With or without the MUI pack installer , IE still need download Office Genuine Advantage ActiveX when running Office Update. OK! It is Office Update.

In fact the OGACheckControl.dll is already in the system32 folder.

Which site are you downloading Office updates from?

Needed for Microsoft Update: OGAControl.cab (05-Mar-2007)

Needed for MS Download Center: OGAControl.cab (05-Mar-2007)

Needed for Office Update site: OGAControl.cab (05-Mar-2007) and OPUC4.CAB (22-Nov-2007)

Are these three OGAControl.cab the same,

or they are different with different update sites?

OPUC.cab in Windows XP SP2 updates list for use with HFSLIP showed Office Update engine (2007-10-22).

Is that different from above OPUC4.CAB (22-Nov-2007)?

both OGACheckControl.dll and opuc.dll are present in system32 before running Office Update.

OGACheckControl version 1.6.21.0 6 Mar 2007

opuc.dll version 12.0.5543.1000

It has no problem with Windows Update after removing the MUI PAck installer in \HFSVCPACK.

But in Office Update , it still need download Office Genuine Validation ActiveX Control on first run!

Oh ! I think I have figured out the problem.

It is the IE security setting for ActiveX control.

When I change the setting of "Allow previously unused ActiveX..." from Disable to Enable before running Office Update,

the Office Update would not stop to ask me to run ActiveX in the Information Bar.