what is the "open" command in right click menu?

Delphianrex

hi all people out there :rolleyes:

i`de like to know what command is that windows has used to open folders,drives,etc

i mean when you right click on a drive or folder the first command in the menu is "Open".ok

and as you know,a command must have been pre-definded in the registry to do a task when you click on the

"Open".

I need this command

or if there is an exe file that if you open it, it`ll go(open) to the path which it is located in, like windows Open command. whats that?

Thanks in advanced

The "open" command simply opens the file/folder that is clicked using the default program set in the registry. For example, it is a pdf document and you have Acrobat Reader installed, then clicking on open (or double clicking) will open that file using Acrobat Reader.

In the registry, it will look something like this:

"c:\program files\adobe\reader\acroread.exe" "%1"

where acroread.exe is the executable that opens acrobat and %1 is the variable for the file you double-clicked.

Anyway, if you go to folder options, then look for the extension of the file, for example, doc, then click on advanced, you will see all the commands in the right-click menu and the commands that are run when clicking on them. So, doc will have open, print, edit, etc. Click on open, then click on edit and you'll see the command that is run to open the doc file.

Or you can go to the registry but I'm not going to explain that here.

i mean when you right click on a drive or folder
He didn't ask about opening a file.

I'm no expert but for instance, if you type "EXPLORER D:", it opens D:. There must be lots of options like having folder pane or view type.

thanks all guys for your replies especially PONCH .

it was an interesting winxp tip!!!

if i`m not wrong this must the thing i want but if i run explorer.exe with a defined path, it`ll just open that path.

I WONDER IF I PUT EXPLORER.EXE IN A FOLDER, HOW I CAN RUN IT LIKE POCH`S INSTRUCTION BUT TO OPEN THE FOLDER WHICH IT`S LOCATED

I WONDER IF I PUT EXPLORER.EXE IN A FOLDER, HOW I CAN RUN IT LIKE POCH`S INSTRUCTION BUT TO OPEN THE FOLDER WHICH IT`S LOCATED

No need to scream, we hear you.

Why would you want this? You could simply right-click on a folder and choose to Explore? I don't understand why you would want this and why you would want to copy explorer.exe all over your hard disk; if it's in your path, which it is by default, you don't have any need to have it copied to anywhere.

The original poster did not mention he wants to open a folder or drive from the command prompt. Hence, his post is vague. I hasn't mentioned what he's trying to accomplished. Again vague. Once can only wonder with a post like that.

Anyway, explorer d: will certainly open the d: drive from the command prompt. However, from the run box, you simply need to type d:.

Again, as already mentioned, I don't see his purpose in copying explorer everywhere. His posts are unclear as to what he's trying to accomplish.

It should be a clue to the original poster - what are you trying to accomplish?

Edited by spacesurfer

• 4 weeks later...

i`m really sorry.

to tell the truth i want to put an exe file in my usb storage to be executed as Autorun.ok

but my problem is that when it gets executed,the drive wont be opened anymore!!!

i think you must have got what i mean, isnt it???

i want to have them done simultanesly.

when the user double clicks on the drive, the drive should be opened normally but the exe file should be run at the sametime

i appologize again for distracting you