Where can I find Windows Movie Maker (ME Version) for Windows 98

computerwizkid

Nah,I downloaded that once and HATE IT.It is so simplistic and I need a complex editing program.

So,Is there a way to run Windows Movie Maker 2 in Windows 98?

NO, computerwizkid. Windows Movie Maker 2.x requires XP and WMM2 is already included in XP SP2 and the WMM2 files are dependent on some XP system files. so forget about it and consider buying third party video editing software instead.

• 2 weeks later...
I have WinME but where is the MM files located?

If you legitimately have Windows ME installed it's on Windows Update. Update #287564, WMM 1.0. Kind of as an extra downloadable freebie app to those that are legitimate, I guess.

Edited by Glenn9999

• 3 weeks later...

For crying out load.

You really don't have to go through all this trouble. To get WMM from WUPG98, run the installer so that it extracts the nessesary files to a folder on the computer, but cancel setup before it actually begins to install (the part when it swtichs to DOS command prompts). Then, go to the folder where the files were extracted, find the WMM folder, and copy it to your computer.

For crying out load.
You really don't have to go through all this trouble. To get WMM from WUPG98, run the installer so that it extracts the nessesary files to a folder on the computer, but cancel setup before it actually begins to install (the part when it swtichs to DOS command prompts). Then, go to the folder where the files were extracted, find the WMM folder, and copy it to your computer.

Yes, I quite agree. But I would say instead to use WinRAR to open up the WUPG98 setup EXE, so you can easily see what you need and don't need to copy to your hard drive. Just move the mm1 folder to your 'program files' folder. If you are asked for dlls or whatnot, try copying them individually from WinRAR/WUPG98. Worked for me, but I do have SE installed. Maybe install SE sometime?

I have WinME but where are the MM files located?
Open %windir%\INF\MOVIEMK.INF in Notepad.

You can also get an idea from 98SE2ME READ1ST.TXT, under the "98SE2ME.PIF COMPLETE GUIDE" chapter [see "* Option 3:"]:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/read1st.php

Entire list of files with path location also here:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#FME

HTH