[HELP] How to connect laptop with PC?

xtremee

Hi all,

At the beging you will say Why don't you just try google for that? Sure i had tried it but it don't work so i post here in this forum

I have a PC based on Windows xp and laptop (DELL latitude D610) and wanna to establish a network between them so that i can transfer my data between my computers.

i get a USB 2.0 cable and try:

In any folder click Tools-> Map Network Drive... -> Then select Z: drive and write "\\My_Computer_Name" but it didin't work

Also i have a serial Cable so i think on try doing direct connection between to computers using method here

but it still didn't work !

btw, in my laptop there are many COMs in the device manager but i have only one in hardware !!

the names of COMs i have

COM1,COM6, COM7, COM10, COM11, COM12, COM13, COM14, COM20 and COM21.

i tried COM1

I think that this is a stupid but i try to connect a Telephone cable between two modems in my computer and sure it didin't work !

So, What shall i do now ?!!

If you want to plug your computer directly into your laptop, all you need is a crossover cable.

If you have a network (or wireless network) you could simply connect through your LAN.

[ Moved to Networking ]

if you have firewire you can do it with a standard firewire cable and the firewire network connection created by XP. You have to manually set an IP address to both connection to ensure they can see each other. The automatically assigned private IP's are not always on the same subnet and then you cannot connect to the other machine.

Or get a network crossover cable, and again assign ip addresses to the network connections.

Or get a USB data transfer cable and the associated software, laplink like software in some cases, others mount the other machine as a network drive.

KIM i wanna aslo to access the internet with my laptop throw the desktop PC

@ Idontwantspam,

Try an ethernet cable. You want a network, don't you?
Good idea but i have only one slot in my LAN card in the desktop PC and sure the same for laptop so that i can't connect the internet network.

===========================================================================

@Tarun,

If you want to plug your computer directly into your laptop, all you need is a crossover cable.
the same. i will be off my internet network
[ Moved to Networking ]
Sorry for that

===========================================================================

@ IcemanND ,

if you have firewire you can do it with a standard firewire cable and the firewire network connection created by XP
Unfortantly i haven't :angry:
Or get a network crossover cable
the same. i will be off my internet network
Or get a USB data transfer cable and the associated software, laplink like software in some cases, others mount the other machine as a network drive.
i think that will be the best as i have the laplink cable and i will try PC remover software. If you know any other one plz, let me know.

Who is your internet service provider? How is it delivered to your home? How do you physically connect to it? Do you have to authenticate to your ISP before you can browse the web, or is it handled by your DSL/Cable modem/Other?