How to make partitions

morland

Hi,

I have only 1 partition (C: drive) having about 180 GB.

Without using Partition Magic, how can I make 3 partitions as follows:

C:\ drive will have 60 GB

D:\ drive will have 50 GB

E:\ drive will have the remaining 70 GB

I think I read somewhere that I can do so by going to Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Storage | Disk Management ...

However when I got to Disk Management, I tried all options and right clicks but could not find any option which will allow me to make the partitions. Probably I'm overlooking something obvious ?? Can you please help.

One more question: If I later want to re-size the partitions, how will I be able to do so?

I will be grateful for a solution.

Hi,

I have only 1 partition (C: drive) having about 180 GB.

Without using Partition Magic, how can I make 3 partitions as follows:

C:\ drive will have 60 GB

D:\ drive will have 50 GB

E:\ drive will have the remaining 70 GB

I think I read somewhere that I can do so by going to Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Storage | Disk Management ...

However when I got to Disk Management, I tried all options and right clicks but could not find any option which will allow me to make the partitions. Probably I'm overlooking something obvious ?? Can you please help.

One more question: If I later want to re-size the partitions, how will I be able to do so?

I will be grateful for a solution.

And you don't want to use the best partitioning program on the planet ( PM8 ) .....WHY?

If you don't want to buy it, you could probably borrow it from a friend. :whistle:

B)

That's in Vista, not in XP.

You can download "Gparted", it's a linux boot disk that does what you want. For free.

If this is the only hard drive you have and the only computer you have, then you will not be able to do what you want on that machine without a complete reformat and install. This is because Windows will prevent you from deleting the system partition which you state is about 180GB.

If you are not afraid of doiing a new install, then you can certainly use the built in utility in Windows to make the partitions you want. Using the install disk you would choose to do a new install of Windows and then when it asks you where you want to install it you would delete the current 180GB partition and then create a new one, but this time set the size at 60GB. Then create two more of the approximate 70GB and 50GB that you also want, and then choose the 60GB partition as the place to install Windows. Then say yes to formatting NTFS (a quick format is all that's necessary and it will go very much faster).

Once all is done you can access the Disk Manager by right clicking MyComputer and choosing Manage | Disk Management. It will show you the three partitions and you can then format the two newer ones there. As for changing the size later, you can only extend an existinig partition with the Windows utility and only if you have unallocated space. Mostly I don't recommend this (also it is only with the newer version of diskpart.exe which didn't come with the original XP, but was in Server 2003). If you want to later change the size of any partition, I'd recommend a third party utility like those mentioned, Acronis, GPartEd (free), Partition Commander, or the old standby Partition Magic.

Hi Ponch and DonDamm,

Appreciate your replies. Thanks :)

The thought of doing it all over again was really scarry and so I took the easy way out; which has worked like a piece of cake and without any problems so far i.e. GParted.

Regards.

Without loosing your data, as far as I know there is nothing built in to WinXP...

However, there are several partitioning tools out there that will do it without a re-format some even freeware (I think Gparted was mentioned).

However, if you use one of them - I would still backup everything first anyway.. Most of the time, there is no problem using such tools, BUT on the off chance there is that one time, it could be a real disaster if you don't have backups of all your important data...

But in any case, just do a search for Partition Tools and you find a bunch of them....

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reading MSFN's Forums for over a year and the suggestions and comments heve been great, never had much to say... but this has saved my behind more than once: Roadstarter Boot Cd at FrozenTech's LiveCD Forums

http://www.livecdforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=1177&sid=8eae6f5d9f8bc4241398d90da6d75fd5

or support

RoadStarter Boot CD Support: E-mail: roadstarter@yahoo.com 

Includes:

1. Windows Workstation XP Live

2. **** Small Linux Live

3. Hiren's Boot CD

4. NTLDR is Missing Fixer

5. Fix for No Folder Options / Registry

Save yorself some trouble today and tomorrow