USB devices

LoveLiteXP

HI guys,

I was wondering what the best practice is in the following case. I work for a compagny where we have now (finally) moved everything over to AD and because nobody is local admin anymore, they cant install USB devices such as mice or USB drives. it makes my life a lot easyer if i dont have to type in the admin password every time they change the USB port. Does anyone know how we can let people install the drivers without making them local administrator (or give them the admin password?) I know one sollution is to set group policies and make the user local admin but resrict everything with policies. That is an option but i'm sure there must be a better / different way.

Thanks!

Question 1: Have you used Nlite to make the image for those computers?

Question 2: Have you set some policies in Default Domain Policy?

I ask these questions since in default settings users should be able to install most of the USB-devices.

Edited by geezery

Question 1: Have you used Nlite to make the image for those computers?

Question 2: Have you set some policies in Default Domain Policy?

I ask these questions since in default settings users should be able to install most of the USB-devices.

1: Yes i have used Nlite to make the image. (1 year ago)

2: I have not set policies yet. It didn't work before we went over to AD either.

So you recon that all users that are NOT local administrator are normally allowed to install USB drivers? We are using XP Pro and not Vista. I thought this was a very common problem and that is was fixed in Vista's new Group Policies. (Not that i have done that much study in VISTA yet :) )

If it is a policy, which one is it?

Thanks

I think you have a big problem with the nlited image you have installed to those computers. I had it also some time a go. You can find multiple threads about this if you do search. Use word USB for search term. I think you have to do all the images again and don't use nlite. You can try the thing, if you install one machine without first nliting the windows XP media.

Edited by geezery