Asus Xonar D2 (Your Opinion)?

vegettoxp

Hey Guys, I have been using Creative's Products for a while and I was really p***ed of when I started to use Vista and the Drivers were really bad. So for the next Rig I am building I want to try something new and that something new is "The New Asus Xonar D2 Sound Card." I just got three reviews that I am gona go threw and if everything is good, I am planning to get this Sound Card. I just wanted to get your guys opinion on this card. I know that this sound card in not for gamer because of the EAX Stuff, for me that is OK, cause I don't play a lot of games either.

Also will there be a BIG difference between the PCI and PCI-E Version?

This Sound Card will be used for Music, DVD Play-Back, TV and Watching other Videos. I play games here and there. I play Need For Speed Titles for sure. So if you guys can share your opinion on this card, it would really help me out. Thank you for all your help.

P.S. Fusion

Edited by vegettoxp

As far as I can read you NEVER are going to use this card and you will be better of keeping those bills in your pocket; your onboard sound will do fine for you...

However, if you are going to edit, mix and play on a good amplifier with the appropriate speakers, this could be some thing nice, especially the PCI-E version so you can move it to your next system too.

Why such an expensive card any way, is it because of the noise/signal ratio? (118dB claimed, not sure if that is balanced or unbalanced)...

Well the Rig I am building right now, I want to have a good sound system. I even bought the Logitech Digital Z-5500 Speaker Set. So I don't see why I should go with a low brand sound card when I paid really good money for my Logitech Sound System. I know onboard sound card are ok, but I want to have my own sound card, not the onboard card. I have never used the onboard sound card. Even the motherboard that I get (Intel or Asus X38 Baby), I don't plan to use there onboard card. But the biggest reason is that my Rig is gona be a Multi-Media/PC Power. Watch TV, DVD, Videos, Play Games and do the normal PC Stuff. I do make my own mix cd's. So when I listen to my mixes on my new Logitech sound system, I wanna hear good music.

P.S. Fusion

Here you can find some info on DSP and Dolby Digital. Like a video card, the soundcard has software instructions and hardware instructions. Hardware in most cases is faster so it would be nice if the card has more hardware DSP functions.

I remember that GPU makers were in for processing sound as well with the GPU, I don’t know how far the development is at this moment and if it’s still continuing.

I don't need the sound card now, its for my new Rig. I want to stay away from Creative. I had a big problem with them when Vista came and there drivers were really bad. That's why I looked at the Asus Sound Card. Regarding the new Auzentech X-Fi Prelude card, isn't that creative inside that card. I know the company is different, but they are using creative's chipset. Also who is makeing the drivers for the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude Card. If it is creative, then you can forget about that card for me. I don't want to put up with drivers probelms again under Vists and I am not going back to XP.

So if the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude Sound Card has the Creative Chipset, but the Drivers are being created by Auzentech, then I will take a look at this card. But as it stand for now, I am sticking with the Asus Sound Card as my First Choice!

THX!

P.S. Fusion

Here you can find some info on DSP and Dolby Digital. Like a video card, the soundcard has software instructions and hardware instructions. Hardware in most cases is faster so it would be nice if the card has more hardware DSP functions.

So you just mean being able to 'render' more sound then. Like more voices and individual effects in the background.

Found a new review on that card, it’s made by Techgage and can be found here.

They say the same thing I told you before: "DSP is not hardware-accelerated"...

Other then that, it seems a good card and something to showoff with, especially the lights in the 3.5mm connectors ;).

only creative has eax 3 and higher. they wont let anyone else have the benefits of eax so eax2 is the highest they let anyone have. but then there was the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude :)

yes it uses the X-Fi processor but it is a quailty card with eax5.