Need Help Reinstalling Windows

Sublaaron

Hi Everybody

I am really impressed with this program. I am trying to teach myself how to reinstall a customized windows. I ran the program and removed some windows components I didn't want, mainly Internet Explorer. I went through all the different operations on nlite and was careful to leave in everything that seemed crucial. When I finished I burned the zip ISO to a rewritable CD. It didn't work. Then I tried uncompressing the file with 7zip and burning that onto a rewritable CD and that hasn't worked either. If I was using the normal unaltered Windows re installation disk I am able to enter a run CD menu by pressing F12 before Windows starts. However with both of my attempts of creating a nlite CD I select the option of booting of the disk and the computer seems to ignore that and just loads up Windows like normal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am curious if the re-writable CD could be causing the problem or if I didn't do something correctly or need to add some more files to my boot able ISO CD.

Please help.

If you have one big ISO file on your CD, then there is your mistake. ISO is a CD image and needs to be burned as an image, not "put on the cd" as a file. Depending on the program you use to burn the cd, you need to find the menu that says "burn image to CD" or burn "iso to cd".

• 2 months later...

I suspect part of the problem is not to try to use CD-RW's for your boot disk. Some CD burners will work with a CD-R just fine, but won't necessarily boot correctly with a CD-RW, even one burned by the same burner. Just my 2 cents worth...:-)

I may add that a good idea is to ALWAYS burn bootable CD's or CDRW's at LOWEST possible speed.

Just to make sure you are not making the error of just copying a .iso file to the CD, use IMGBURN:

http://www.imgburn.com/

using the "write" feature:

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=screenshots#isowrite

NOT the "build" one.

jaclaz