Microsoft Ceases AutoPatcher Project

dread

I had a call from Microsoft Legal this morning and they have told me that we are no longer allowed to endorse AutoPatcher on Neowin.

Microsoft will only allow updates to be downloaded from its own servers.

AutoPatcher started in 2003 and has been redistributed in some of the worlds best computer magazine cover CD/DVD's. I have no explanation for why Microsoft allowed it to continue unchecked for 4 years before making this decision.

I asked the representative if Windows Genuine Advantage had anything to do with it and he categorically told me this was not the case, he added that Windows Update for pre-Vista versions of Windows can now be accessed using Firefox and that the concern at Microsoft had more to do with the possible malicious code that could be redistributed with certified Microsoft updates.

We have no grounds to challenge the decision by Microsoft.

I'd like to thank the whole AutoPatcher team for their continued work, unfortunately none of the team is online, but they have been contacted via the AutoPatcher.com website by Microsoft Legal.

The AutoPatcher forums on Neowin have been disabled for guests and members.

Look here and here is the topic on the forums.

I cannot believe this. What will happen to all the other projects like it.

It's bad news for many people, it was an easy way to apply many hotfixes for those with English Windows.

Now they have to download all updates (WUD is useful here) and script the installation...

This is unfair what will those windows users do who have original licensed versions of it? where will they get the updates from, who have no access to the internet. The only source was the magazines which carried auto patcher on their cd's and DVD's

This is unfair what will those windows users do who have original licensed versions of it? where will they get the updates from, who have no access to the internet. The only source was the magazines which carried auto patcher on their cd's and DVD's

They can download the updates on another computer, just like they would with AutoPatcher. If the computers doesn't even have Internet access they most likely don't need the updates.

It's bad news for many people, it was an easy way to apply many hotfixes for those with English Windows.

Now they have to download all updates (WUD is useful here) and script the installation...

There is no WUD for vista x64 updates

I don't see the 98 projects being in trouble but I am pretty sure ryans may be next.

You're dam* right the 98 projects aren't in trouble! They'll have to pry my dead fingers of my molten keyboard before Auto-Patcher for Windows98se goes away :lol:

EVEN THOUGH i make my own unattennded DVDs for my re-install Windows tasks, i still used AutoPatcher as a backup and also to check i had all the updates. Even so, i'm still fine, but what about everyone else that swore by the autopatchers? What are they going to do? Windows Update only does critical !! And suffer the poor folk with only modems.

Oh well, at least people have (or can get) the August 2007 edition ... or has it already disappeared? Thank Che i already have the full version with all the addons!

EDIT: yeah, WU does do more than critical but not like AutoPatcher did it.

Edited by soporific