Which Processer Should i go with

slipk487

Im going to make the best use out of my 939. I dont game as much as i use to so i dont see the point of fully upgrading. Currently i have a Asus A8N-E Mobo with 2 GB G.Skill PC3200 with a Asus EN7600GT Silent and a Althon 3500+. im looking for a dual core. currently i manly use my system for surfing the net, listing to music, and watching/encoding videos. im going to purchase it from an online retailer. here is what newegg has http://tinyurl.com/yp7wve. but if you know of any retailers with a better deal please post a link.

Edit Poll didnt show up.

Im pretty much trying to figure out weather it better to go with a Opteron or X2

Edited by slipk487

Go with an opty, the few extra bucks are well worth it. I put one in my shuttle mce box and it's working out great. It runs very cool, cooler than a regular athlon and if you really want to make it quiet you can undervolt it. I'm not at home so I can't see what it's running at but I'm running mine undervolted at standard clock speeds and I couldn't ask for a more reliable machine. I've got the 165 but spending a couple extra bucks for more speed wouldn't hurt either.

Im pretty much trying to figure out weather it better to go with a Opteron or X2

I would say X2 4200 2.2GHz, 55 bucks cheaper then an Opteron (5 bucks for the thermal-paste). Remember that the X2 is OEM, no cooler included so get yourself some thermal-paste and clean off the old thermal-pad or so that came with the cooler/CPU that you have now.

• 2 weeks later...

well i have one more question. what do you guys think will be the best bang for my buck. there is the 3800+ for $57.99 and its 2.0 GHz then there is the 4200+ which is $72.50 for 2.2 GHz. right now i have the 3500+ single core 2.2 GHz. i know that amd usual have a higher rating then there actual speed. according to system requirements lab my 2.2 is rated at 3.5 GHz. i know any dual core will be much better then my single core. im just wondering if its worth the extra 15 bucks to go with the 2.2 GHz. from what most of the charts i looked at on toms hardware there pretty close. so i just want an opinion before i order it on thursday.

right now the most system intense game i play is bioshock. even with my processor now i think it is my vid card that is the bottle neck considering that it dont like games at higher resolutions. and any of the video encoding i do is never high def. about the highest resolution i encode in is 704x384 when the video is widescreen.

i just want to weight my options since i dont get much from my new job. i get 7 bucks an hour and i work 3 hours a day 5 days a week and only get payed every other week. i only get about 200 a check. also there still other stuff i do so i still need money. i dont plan on upgrading anything else except maybe my hard drive for a while. and ill probley upgrade my gfx card when gforce 9 cards come out making the 8 cheaper. from everything that ive seen the 7600gt beats the 8600gt's (not gts) in everything but newer games. so ill stick with that.

Edited by slipk487

I would say X2 4200 2.2GHz, 55 bucks cheaper then an Opteron (5 bucks for the thermal-paste). Remember that the X2 is OEM, no cooler included so get yourself some thermal-paste and clean off the old thermal-pad or so that came with the cooler/CPU that you have now.

Like I said here... I think the extra 15 bucks will be a good deal although it only gives you 10% more speed and the price is 20% higher. I would personally Overclock the new CPU to 2.5-2.7GHz...