VMWare 6.0 Silent Install

Decker87

Hi. I'm trying to do a silent install of VMWare Workstation 6.0 ACE Edition. I have successfully made it install via administrative package/MSIEXEC but I have one problem:

1. It still restarts! Obviously, this is not what I want.

Does anyone know of a fix?

Also, is there a guide somewhere for Silent iTunes 7 installation?

Hi. I'm trying to do a silent install of VMWare Workstation 6.0 ACE Edition. I have successfully made it install via administrative package/MSIEXEC but I have one problem:

Ask shark007

Edited by sp00f

I do it like this.

extract vmware;

setup.exe /a /s /v /qn TARGETDIR=%systemdrive%\vmware

This will extract the vmware installer into C:\vmware (or whatever your system drive is)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a batch file called install.bat

Place these lines in it

@ECHO OFF

start /wait /i vmware.msi /qn REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS ADDLOCAL=ALL DESKTOPSHORTCUT=1 SERIALNUMBER=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

copy /y preferences.ini "%userprofile%\application data\vmware\"

Put your serial number there at the end replacing XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Don't forget the dashes.

Place your preferences.ini from your current vmware installation into the same directory you extracted vmware into

You can see that path above, this might be C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VMware for instance.

Place install.bat into the same directory you extracted vmware into.

I use winrar to create the sfx with the following settings. (you can use whatever you like)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sfx settings;

archive name = vmware.exe

create sfx

create solid archive

compression = best

sfx advanced options;

general;

%userprofile%\local settings\temp\

absolute path

don't save and restore paths

run after;

install.bat

modes;

unpack to temporary folder

hide all

overwrite all files

hope this helps, cheers.

check PM

7zip is not usable on older systems which have low amounts of ram. Otherwise I would probably use it. (I have some legacy machines I use for developing and testing.)

I have been bugging the UPX developers to make the --exact switch really make files exactly as they were (byte for byte) before compression. I have done some tests with it as is, and with .exe, .dll , .ocx and .scr files it gets far better compression ratio than either winrar or 7zip if the files are precompressed with all options including the resources. This could be scripted inside a batch or cmd script to uncompress the executable files, and make the compression ratio even higher. It would also allow for compression of windows component files and other things which have crc checks and must not be modified in any way. The AbodeReader installer uses such a technique with a modified UPX, to obtain it's very small installer size.

Edited by Fungus