Vista Default User Profile Help

I can customize a profile locally for Vista then have the system copy it to the default user profile and it works great with new accounts being created. How do I go about using this profiles setting in the unattended install? I have read the guide for copying user profiles but am confused cause the current account will not have the profile configured the way I want it to copy. Is there a certain way you are supposed to copy the profile ahead of time to the Administrators profile when you mount the system prior to making the ISO so then it is copied during the unattended install? I have regtweaks that work for the profile but some things like classic style start menu folder settings etc... are a pain to figure out even with regmon so the profile is necessary. Some help would really be appreciated.

Edited by Wabaunza

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish. Are you using sysprep at all? If so try checking this out:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista...3.mspx?mfr=true

The CopyProfile setting when put in the specialize pass of the unattend.xml will automatically copy the profile that launches Sysprep to the Default user.

Once things are syspreped, you can capture the image and create your ISO.

xrikazen,

I am using the CopyProfile setting (true) in the specialize phase. I was just wondering if there was a different way of creating a profile ahead of time like in XP when you just copy it in the $OEM$\Docs\Default User folder and then during the install that would copy over. So I guess regtweaks to customize the profile then the unattend will copy the profile is the only way to go?

@Wabaunza

Have you tried your own suggestion?

$OEM$\Docs\Default User is incorrect.

It should be $OEM$\$Docs\Default. Also. you can manipulate files in INSTALL.WIM.

Lets pass the right stuff :whistle:

CopyProfile

Specifies whether the default user profile normally stored under C:\Users\Default User is overwritten by copying the current user's profile.

\$OEM$\$Docs

Contains files that Windows Setup copies to %DOCUMENTS_AND_SETTINGS% during installation.

Supported in Vista = No

waik.chm = Understanding Distribution Shares and Configuration Sets

Edited by maxXPsoft

Lets pass the right stuff :whistle:

CopyProfile

Specifies whether the default user profile normally stored under C:\Users\Default User is overwritten by copying the current user's profile.

\$OEM$\$Docs

Contains files that Windows Setup copies to %DOCUMENTS_AND_SETTINGS% during installation.

Supported in Vista = No

waik.chm = Understanding Distribution Shares and Configuration Sets

Well let's pass more of the right stuff. Take it from someone who currently employs the above directory. Unless I have a faulty copy of Vista

Supported in Vista = Yes :hello:

Don't believe everything .CHM tells you.

Just trying to help you Wabaunza. The path I related is Vista specific and works for me.

One directory I create for an ebook I use in Start Menu >> All Programs >> Property Book is

$OEM$\$Docs\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Property Book\

and it applies to all users.

Let us know how it turns out.

Edited by razormoon