intel quad core + memory but what speed?

eyeball

Hi all,

pretty soon im replacing my aging P4 with a quad core and at the moment i have 2GB of DDR400 Ram. Im going to replace this with 8GB of DDR2 5400 Ram.

however the motherboard supports the fastest DDR2 memory available.

So my question is will using the slower memory (DDR2 5400) give me an noticable difference performance wise?

the fastest DDR2 is so much more expensive than the slower.

i will be encoding videos. running virtual pcs, playing videos, pretty taxing stuff.

Any thoughts?

thanks a lot :)

sorry i forgot to mention i need to make sure that the ram i get is in 2GB sticks as i want 8GB in my board. The Price difference Between 2gig in a single stick of different speeds is quite substantial

Edited by eyeball

Just making sure because using more than 4GB will do you no good on a 32-bit OS. :)

The other thing I'm wondering is if you really need 8GB of RAM? How many VPC's do you plan to run at once and what will you be using them for?

i know its overkill but im trying to futureproof as much as possible.

i will be running a couple at a time, planning to have a fully functioning SQL and sharepoint server running as test machines as im really into learning the in's and outs of it.

i might just risk it with 2GB of DDR2 667 and see how it is, if its slow il replace it with DDR 800.

if its not il get the other 6GB

however what im thinking is it will be such a step from my P4 that i may not notice it anyway... :blink:

thanks nmX.Memnoch

Just go with 4GB (4 x 1GB) of DDR2 800 and be done with it. Seriously, the price difference on a 2GB DDR2 667 kit and a 2GB DDR2 800 kit isn't that much. Just get two 2GB kits. :)

That should be plenty for the single user testing you'll be doing. Allocate 1GB to each VPC and that'll still leave 2GB available to the host OS.