Vista 32Bit or 64Bit?

Captn

Im thinking of getting Vista, but Im not sure if I want to get the 32bit or the 64bit. Other then running 4gigs of ram are thier any benefits to using 64bit Vista at this point in time? Thank you in advance.

64bit machines are better at opening larger files quicker, they're faster at "number-crunching" (like compiling code, loading files, etc), and give access to twice the registers that 32bit Windows does (although this will benefit 32bit apps very little). Windows itself, being 64bit, will operate faster than it's 32bit counterpart given more RAM, too, but otherwise, not much.

Will I be able to run 32bit games, without any issues? I guess what Im asking is will it run 32bit games in emulation & if so will this cause a performance hit in my 32bit games?

Edited by Captn

Will I be able to run 32bit games, without any issues? I guess what Im asking is will it run 32bit games in emulation & if so will this cause a performance hit in my 32bit games?

yes, you can. if u r gonna play newer games ( made after 2004 ) it will 99% work! i have lotta games and they all working fine on x64 edition.

few games are like

counter strike

counter strike : condition zero

counter strike : source

Half life 2

Half life : lost coast

Half life : Death Match

Garry's mod

Medieval 2 : Total war

Warhammer 40000 series

Chronicles of Riddick

Company Of Heroes

DiRT

NFS mostwanted

NFS carbon

NFS UG

NFS UG: 2

DeltaForce : BlackHawkDown & Team Sabre

Prince Of Persia : Warrior Within

Prince Of Persia : The Two Thrones

Mafia

GTA : Vice City

GTA: San Andreas

GTA 3

FEAR

FEAR : Extraction Point

Far Cry

Driver : Parallel Lines

Age Of Empires 3 & expansion

Rainbow Six : Vegas

Ghost Recon : Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2

BattleField 2

BattleField 2142

Call Of Duty 2

Cricket 2007

All Gamehouse games ( lol )

Halo

Infernal

STALKER

TestDrive Unlimited

TOCA : RaceDriver 3

WTCC

Tomb Rider : Anniversory

Unreal Tournament 2004

Quake 3

Quake 4

Warcraft 3 & expansions

World of warcraft

world of warcraft : burning crusade

above games are tested by me on my x64 vista ultimate, and all works fine without any problem. :)

Regards

AMIT

Im playing Americas Army, Will be playing Madden 2008 on the 14th of Aug :) Company of Heroes :) THank you for the info, is thier any performance hit with running 32bit games in a 64bit OS?

Edited by Captn

I never experienced any performance hit when I played 32bit games in 64bit WindowsXP so I imagine it would be the same for Vista64 bit also. I would reccommend you go with 64bit. You will have problems with drivers and some programs but it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck!

Im playing Americas Army, Will be playing Madden 2008 on the 14th of Aug :) Company of Heroes :) THank you for the info, is thier any performance hit with running 32bit games in a 64bit OS?

you neither get more performance nor loose it compared to xp and vista 32 bit editions. because all games are 32 bit , and they have nothing to do with 64bit OS. my advice to you to go with x64 :). 5-6 fps diff. over 60 FPS is negotiable. however x64 os will eat more RAM than 32 bit :(

here is my screenshot of current x64 system :)

see memory usage at multimeter on sidebar.( 1136/2048 MB, with 2 apps running only)

081146bd892325512.jpg

Nice, TY. Im running a E6400 @ 3Ghz with 2gigs of DDR2 800 XMS2 Corsair, 8800GTS(640mb)EVGA, EVGA 680i mobo, Seasonic M-12 700watt psu. I was planning on getting Vista 64bit Ultimate and another 2 gigs of the same corsair im running now.

The 32-bit versions will not show more then 4 you would be lucky to get 3.5 to show. Im thinking of switching to vista after i upgrade my computer. From what i heard about most of the programs i run they dont have issues. i can run vista on my machine now but games suffer more on vista then they do on xp. It will be nice to have the x64 once more programs that utilize 64 bit. From what i heard a lot of the steam games like half-life 2 and cs:s have x64 executables that are downloaded when you update the game.

The 32-bit versions will not show more then 4 you would be lucky to get 3.5 to show. Im thinking of switching to vista after i upgrade my computer. From what i heard about most of the programs i run they dont have issues. i can run vista on my machine now but games suffer more on vista then they do on xp. It will be nice to have the x64 once more programs that utilize 64 bit. From what i heard a lot of the steam games like half-life 2 and cs:s have x64 executables that are downloaded when you update the game.

Cool, thank you for that info slipk487. I think I'll take the plunge and go with Vista Ultimate 64bit. :thumbup

I never experienced any performance hit when I played 32bit games in 64bit WindowsXP so I imagine it would be the same for Vista64 bit also

According to my experience, Vista 64 is 0 - 5 % faster than its 32 bits counterpart, provided that you use updated drivers and make every possible tweak because Vista 64 is terribly bloated and taxing.

After a couple of months fiddling around every piece of registry (and thanks to vLite), I don't miss anymore the excellent XP 64 !