install from UNC-Path

kugman

Hi,

is it possible to install software from an administrative installation point over a network share such as: \\server\install\msoffice2003\pro11.msi?

I want to create a unattended Installation-CD that installs ca. 25 different programs. But i cannot place this software on CD or DVD.

thank you very much

Some additional information: using the unc-path in the "command"-Part of the ini-file works fine unless you need to declare a answerfile like setup.iss

Sorry - I've forgotten to mention this

Edited by kugman

It should work from a UNC path (for both MSI's and Install sheild installers)...There are specific switches for both you can use to direct it to the appropriate unattended answerfile using UNC paths...google around, you'll find it!

it depends upon the application I have found some that do not like to install via network, even though they will try.

If you are using CMD scripts to run the installer you need to add a setlocal statement to enable extensions so that UNC paths are accepted.

You may also find that some installers do not like UNC paths contained in switches.