Modem speed after XP Prof. Install

Michael10

After installing Windows XP Professional my modem speed logon is much slower. I use Compuserve and I usually log on at 56K or above. But after installing XP Professional I have never been able to log on any faster. Is this normal, or is there a fix for it?

Thanks for the many responses. I currently have a PC Tel Platium 56k V.90 modem and have downloaded the most current driver from Compaq the maker of my Computer. I also have Compuserve Version 6.0.2. So as near as I can tell, I have all I need. I also have checked the the access numbers and they are V.90 connections. Last night I managed to log on at a speed of 37000, but nothing faster than that. I have looked in device manager and the Port speed is set to 117,000. I am out of ideas.

Just a little info.....You will never logg in truly above 56k. Phone lines dont permit it. That number you have seen in the past might have given you false info. Do you personaly see a difference in speed while online compared to before?

-Xperties

I hear the new X2 modems or whatever they call can reach the full potential, but it seems funny to me, that you can have a 56K dialup modem on the same telephone line as a DSL modem, and the 56K modem cant even reach its potential, but the DSL smokes. I know I know, the DSL uses a different part of the line, but still, its rediculous.

Big Booger

Telephone lines only use 2 wires...normally the green and red wire, VS the DSL is using at least a dozen wires.Thats why when you have DSL installed in your home they put a new jack in which is used primarly for the DSL line

-Xperties

BTW....Those new dial up modems are still full of s***...normal telephone wires will not reach the full potential.....the lins just cant handle it

The Line is the same exact line, no change, nothing to install. The modem wire has exact same number of wires as the telephone. It may be different in the US, I dunno, I never had DSL in the states, only Uni's T3, and cable modem.

Big Booger

I thought the X2 crap was full of it, just never tried it.

The Line is the same exact line, no change, nothing to install. The modem wire has exact same number of wires as the telephone. It may be different in the US, I dunno, I never had DSL in the states, only Uni's T3, and cable modem.

Big Booger

I thought the X2 crap was full of it, just never tried it. [/quote:2298bd50c8]

The phone lines here in the Philippines are the same too. They just install the DSL modem and that's it.

we had dsl for a while..but the lines in our area suck...therefore the dsl sucked....all they do is install sumthin on ur line at the central office or at the junction...not sure which...then you install dsl modem and put the dsl filters on the rest of ur jacks....this is just what happened with Verizon DSL....