QuickTime 7 -- playing local .mov file

Molecule

Anyone know a way to play a local .mov QuictTime 7 file on w98se? (found on

, dl'd from http://www.pinkyshow.org/archives/archivesdate.html)

on my dialup internet connection, the embedded QT 7 file plays in a embedded window in Mozilla browser, which I think plays it through a Macromedia flash plugin instead of a quicktime browser plugin. (how can I find this out?)

I have the QT7 .mov file locally, but cannot play it (Apple QuickTime downloads only offers v 7.2 which requires XP or above :( so I was trying to embed the local file as follows:

<html>
<body>

<!--this is the oridinal utube embedding code:
<object width="425" height="350">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Khut8xbXK8"></param>
<param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param>
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Khut8xbXK8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>
</object> -->

<p>hello world</p>

<!-- now see if it will embed and open a local file, thus using the Mozilla to call plugin to open the file -->
<object width="425" height="350">
<param name="movie" value="file://e:/1fils/PinkyShow/070525_iraqwar.mov"></param>
<param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param>
<embed src="file://e:/1fils/PinkyShow/070525_iraqwar.mov" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>
</object>

</body>
</html>

Afterdawn.com has QT7 alternative, but it requires w2k. Their earlier version runs on 98, but plays QT6 only.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_so...alternative.cfm

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks awergh,

downloaded latest version -- strong project

unfortunately, the sound comes out garbled -- like the speakers were under water -- but the video plays just fine

(I have the suggested unicows files in my Windows\System subdir.)

VLC media player also plays a working mp3 with the same under-water sound effect --

Media Player Classic plays the .mov sound track just fine -- but it won't display the video.

So my solution is play the video in VLC and the sound in MP Classic -- works ok for me if I set one about one-click's time ahead of the other and then start them both.

(Amongst other things, the predatory multi-media we-need-to-know thing (Real Audio etc.) turned me off long ago ... (seems Poindexter's aQ db has more of a need to know than I do ... arghh)

Are u sure that you have all the proper codecs both audio and video that are required for playback. Did u try QuickTime Alternative or QT Lite?

I DL'ed QTLite111, but the installer requires w2k. I have 98se.

QT-Alternative, for version7, also requires w2k.

Adobe QT requires XP.

I tried QT Alt-ver 6 (legacy) -- the video decodes just fine, but the audio comes out garbled.

Then I tried MP Classic -- the audio decodes just find, but the video system complains can't find [the same codec used by QT alt-v6]

I wouldn't even have a clue how to go about finding out if I have all the required codecs. I know that MPClassic is able to find an audio codec that works, so I assume that somewhere I have an audio codec -- but it can't find a video codec. On the other foot, QT Alt v6 is able to "find?" a video codec that works, so now I assume that I have one of those in my system, but then it can't find an audio codec.

Real Audio is probably the problem -- although I will never allow RA anywhere on my system, I am so paranoid about multimedia that I assuem it went ahead and hijacked my codecs just for spite. When this .mov is fed into Bill's media player 6, bill tries to automatically install a codec which I stop, because I believe that MS was ab initio an operational front for what is now known as "Al Qieda" -- which, translated means "outhouse toilet seat (crapper) over a deep well of cool fresh water in the desert" e.g. a deeply mined database, run by clueless racists and eugenicists, trying to implement a program of radical global genocide, while putting all the blame on little Osama bin Mickey House, who spends all his days and nights shivering in caves.

Any suggestions -- for the codec (not the paranoia)?

Any suggestions -- for the codec (not the paranoia)?

Do you really need to watch it in QT then?

In other words just because Pinky offers it in QT format, however YouTube offers it in the elusive p.i.t.a flv format.

To download an flv format you can do it a few ways, just one is if you go to this website:

http://www.techcrunch.com/get-youtube-movie/

Then copy/paste this link below into the box there (it's the link from YouTube where you play it there)

..and then press GetVideo, and as it starts the download process here you can rename/enter it in for an .flv extension either before or after you download the get-video file, but either way it needs to be in an .flv extension - then when done downloading it then just open it with your VLC player and it will work fine.

Another way, maybe even easier/convenient in many cases than fooling with flv files, is that this link below offers a little YouTube downloader program that you would paste that same link into its box, and it will auto-convert the file to a mpeg format even - which as you know every player plays that one.

http://www.youtube-d.com/

..there's even more ways to do it, and as always more than one way to accomplish a given task

..ps and btw - now that you mentionded it, yes it would be nice if there was a simple codec change/way to make v7 mov files work with a v6 player!

Edited by Rick Chauvin

• 3 weeks later...
Are u sure that you have all the proper codecs both audio and video that are required for playback. Did u try QuickTime Alternative or QT Lite?

and the sad part of Apple Quicktime 7.2 is that is requires at least WinXP SP2. Quicktime 7.2 will NOT install under Win2000 as I've tested this on my cousin's Win2000 machine. CURSE YOU, APPLE Inc. :angry:

why Quicktime 7.2 had to drop Win2k support is beyond me

well Rick, that's cold hard reality nowadays for Win9x users

anyway I hardly encounter QT files on the web

Edited by erpdude8

and I find Quicktime 7.2 to be somewhat buggy and conflicts with certain programs [yeah, nice going Apple Inc.]

I'm dumping QT 7.2 and installing QT Lite (and the K-Lite Codec pack) on my Win2k/XP machines. QT 7.2 for both Mac and PC is flawed :angry:

and the sad part of Apple Quicktime 7.2 is that is requires at least WinXP SP2. Quicktime 7.2 will NOT install under Win2000 as I've tested this on my cousin's Win2000 machine. CURSE YOU, APPLE Inc. :angry:

why Quicktime 7.2 had to drop Win2k support is beyond me

well Rick, that's cold hard reality nowadays for Win9x users

anyway I hardly encounter QT files on the web

I don't fool with QT that much either erpdude, but do have v6.5.2 installed on W98SE, W2K and WXP as well, naturally in all cases with it unchecked in msconfig which goes without saying, along with not having any file types except it's own associated. I just don't use QT that much but it is there for that seldom needed instance. As for online viewing I always download the file I want to watch while never using any players on line that much at all, since most sites are not in my trusted zone therefore do not have access to activex to start them. I see I do have v7.03; v7.04; v7.131 saved locally for testing on 2K/XP but I've never needed the instance to test them yet.... someday maybe.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

eh, I'm no longer mad about this situation, I got even. found a way to install QT 7.2 under Win2k and it involves editing the QT 7.2 MSI package in the MS Orca tool. Following someone's instructions here:

http://www.infosecblog.org/2007/07/got_win..._want_to_r.html

Change the LaunchCondition table "VersionNT" entry from "501" [that's XP] to "500" [and that's basically W2K] and save the changes to the MSI file in Orca. Then placed gdiplus.dll file in the \Program Files\Quicktime\ folder and QT 7.2 will run under Win2k. :thumbup

I see I do have v7.03; v7.04; v7.131 saved locally for testing on 2K/XP but I've never needed the instance to test them yet.... someday maybe.

But these 7.0x & 7.1x versions of QT are prone to recent security flaws, Rick

Edited by erpdude8