Is there a better way to multiboot!

gospeed

Here is a run down of my dvd.

I have Retail versions of XP Home, Pro, Student, and MCE- and 3 install types for each (Attended, Unattended, and original)

I then have 7 OEM XP installs for Home and 7 for Pro, again with 3 install types.

So 54 total folders (besides my boot folders) for 54 different versions.

When combined with my .bin files, boot folders, boot menu, and wpi stuff, I have 136 items at the root of my dvd :blink: Its a MESS!

I used both the gosh method and the flyakite tutorial to build this dvd, which originally just had 9 installs. Its now 9.95gb before running CDimage, only 3.29gb after. Most of that is my WPI programs.

My thought is that since there are only a handful of files different between most versions of XP, and 2/3 of mine ONLY differ in the winnt.sif file, there HAS to be a better (more efficient way!) to do this!

Are there any methods to building a multiboot that do not require the repetition? It would be nice to have 3 different winnt.sif files in the same folder and change how they are called. It would also be nice to have only one instance of a file anywhere on the dvd.

I know its likely not possible, but if someone is doing this, or at least a more efficient method than mine, please chime in! I am at the point that I need to update my DVD anyway, so I am up for trying something new.

speeddvd.JPG

Each version of XP (VLK/Retail/OEM) is defined by the PID in the setupp.ini file found in your I386 folder (I could elaborate on this but it's easier to Google it) and there are also some variences in files found in VLK, Pro and Home to enable additional features.

Going by the placement of files and factoring in the variences in txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf I'd say your probably best sticking with what you've got.

I know it's a pain but if you really have to strive for completeness then your stuck with it :rolleyes: .

I have to applaud you for your patience though, after all, I'm sure you do have a purpose for all those versions ;)

Edited by kof94

There is a better way. Windows XP PowerPacker uses a method of creating duplicate setupldr.bin files and modifying them according to what winnt.sif file you would like to use. This makes it so you can use multiple winnt.sif files with each pack instead of having an entire pack for each winnt.sif file. ;)

Try Windows XP PowerPacker and study what it has done. It is actually pretty simple once you figure it out.

Thank you kof94 and Siginet!

Siginet, I have looked at powerpacker but was under the assumption that I could only have one instance of xp running various winnt.sif's, however it sounds as if that is not true. I will do some looking! If I could chop out 2/3's I would be SO HAPPY!

54/3= 18 :thumbup

Now I need to start remembering all the stuff I forgot over the last year while I was being complacent with what I had :whistle:

@Siginet

I'm intrigued, I might have to take a look at PowerPacker myself.

I have a another question though:

As you more than likely know, the MassStorage DriverPack can cause a lot of problems for some controllers when integrated into textmode setup.

I'm considering an idea that consists of one I386 folder (edit: without textmode drivers) on my disc providing source files and two boot folders, one with textmode drivers intergrated and one without. By my reckoning, you should only need the textmode drivers in the boot folder anyway!

If this works it means you would only need one I386 folder on your disc providing two driver options though the boot folders.

I know I could do this with two complete setups and using cdimage/mkisofs to write duplicate files once... da da da... but thats just boring ;)

Anyway hope this makes sense, what do you think (being an integrator guru and all that)?

Edited by kof94